Why won't my flash trigger ?

Bram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, I bought an SB-600 last week, and so far I love it, BUT, sometimes when i'm trying to take a picture the flash doesnt always trigger. Now at first it didnt seem like that big of a deal to me, but now it's getting kind of annoying. Is there a setting that I may have missed or something ? Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

it takes time to recharge. You need to wait until the light turns on.

Oh schwettylens, yes I actually waited like a couple of minutes before I tried a second shot and it just wouldn't go. Dao, I checked the batteries just to be sure but still, the third shot it flashes, but it won't flash again till the sixth or seventh.

Are the contacts clean where it connects to the camera? Shooting faster than the flash can catch up happens to me sometimes.

Edit: I see you been waiting a few minutes so its not the speed.

Have you checked with your manuals?

What are your camera shooting mode and flash mode settings when this happens?

On camera or off camera?

We really need more information about your camera's settings and your flash settings. Also, are you mounting the flash on the camera's hot shoe or is it off camera?

Sorry for not being too clear on the issue. The camera im using is a D40x, the settings vary so that may have something to do with it. Flash settings I have yet to figure out I have however check te manual for options and I have tried the most basic one. Flash setting is to zoom 35 lets say, my lens is set to 35 shooting. When I hit the shutter, it will still take the picture but the flash won't trigger sometimes.

Oh schwettylens, yes I actually waited like a couple of minutes before I tried a second shot and it just wouldn't go. Dao, I checked the batteries just to be sure but still, the third shot it flashes, but it won't flash again till the sixth or seventh.

Set the flash to manual mode. Change the power to something like 1/128 (lowest possible) and see if it is better (ignore the exposure on the photos)

If you have a new set of or freshly charged batteries, try those first.

Make sure the flash is set to either on-camera or off-camera depending how it's being used.

On camera use: press 'zoom' & '-' simultaneously and make sure the squiggly line is set to OFF. (I know, backwards thinking). Opposite setting for off-camera use (ON).

Thank you both so much for the input andadvice I will definately go home and try both those settings. If that works i'd like to thank you in advance for both your help.

Is the flash going to sleep? Frequently when my SB 600 is off camera it will go to sleep and then not flash until the second frame after it wakes up.

Yes jeph I did check out the sleep mode and I was aware of that feature, also I made sure not to turn off my camera when shooting, and to make sure the flash was not in sleep mode. Thank you for the input though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back