Steve56

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
steve56.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm wanting peoples recommendations for a first time wide angle lens. I'm currently using a Canon 1000D and the widest lens I have at the moment is the standard 18-55mm.

I'll be photographing group shots of people shortly and I would want to venture into landscape photography. Ideally, I'd like a lens that I could leave on my body most of the time and use for most scenarios. I believe my friend does this with an 18-200mm?

I've been told that a Sigma 10-20mm is an affordable option. However, are there any alternatives?

I'm not bothered if it's specifically Canon, I'm content with third party lenses.

Also, I understand that, by me asking this question, I may come across as not knowing what I specifically want from a lens, but I am in need of a Wide-Angle lens in order to shoot more than two people in one frame. I do not want to be associated with those that think by having x number of lenses, I am a professional. I freely admit I am an amateur and I am very much still learning.

Your expert advice is welcome.

Last edited:
If you're having people in your shots, I wouldn't recommend wide lenses. Have you tried backing up? ;) 18mm should be more than wide enough. Plus, people will be very distorted at that short focal length. I wouldn't recommend super wide angle lenses for people shots, unless you're going for specific artistic expressions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back