Wide angle lens? Canon mount!

xsouthpawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a wide angle to deal with my.. well. wide-angle needs.
So I poked around.. and I found: Canon 17-40mmL, Canon 17-55IS, and Sigma 17-50mm

Just to give you guys an idea of what focal length I'm looking at. As to what I want to take pictures of with this lens.. people, maybe some nature stuff too. I've been realizing that sometimes even my 28mm on the 28-135mm isn't wide enough.. and I am kind of disappointed with the IQ.

I'm hoping to stick around the 700$ price range (or lower!).. which is why I don't really want to consider the 17-55IS but I heard it's REALLY good.
Oh. And I want decent indoor capabilities (it'll be coupled with my 7D).. hence my indecision between the sigma and canonL.

Any advice? Sorry for such a long post and thank you in advance.

I can't tell you anything about your other choices, but I do have the 17–40L and have used it extensively.

It's a pretty OK lens. I do get a bit of barrel distortion when shooting at 17mm with a 5D.

-Pete

I have the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (non-VC version) and I like it. Tamron has a newer version of the lens that has VC.

Check out technical review site such as
photozone.de and slrgear.com

i have the 17-40L. very nice lens. was the only lens i used until i got my 50mm 1.4. as stated by Christie, at 17mm there is a bit of distortion, especially with up close shots. it gives an almost fish eye effect on very close face shots. but as a wide angle, it is a great lens. i would recommend it, and doubt you'd be disappointed with it.
i have no experience with the other lenses.

I have the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (non-VC version) and I like it. Tamron has a newer version of the lens that has VC.

Check out technical review site such as
photozone.de and slrgear.com

what about autofocus performance? That's my main point of concern...

thanks! :)

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 AF performance:
It is not as fast as those USM type lens. But it is not slow either. I do not think there is much difference between the 50mm f/1.4 in terms of AF speed (50mm f/1.4 is slightly faster). Especially it is a wide angle lens, different in AF speed is insignificant. (When compares to long telephoto lens such as in 200mm range)

However, the AF motor noise of the non-VC Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens is louder. In most of the situation, it is not a issue at all. i.e. taking photos in a birthday party, outdoor or normal photo shoots. But if you are in a quiet indoor environment, the AF motor noise may make you stand out from the crowd. i.e. museum, wedding events inside a church etc.

Here are few samples taken with my Tamron lens

5080671139_f46a63be74_b.jpg

3592499249_2a8cc95acb_z.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back