Wife, make-up and photocamera...

Pax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
...was all it took.

Long time no see! I was very busy during the last weeks, but I found some time to convince my wife into doing a photo shoot. She even let me put heavy make-up on her (!) which really turned the shooting into something special. I'm very pleased with the results - but she's my wife, so I am a bit biased. :mrgreen:

Therefore I thought I'd come here to seek your input, concerning three main questions:

1. I was going after making the pictures look professional. Am I getting close to this target or am I way off? And why do you consider the pictures on target or not?

2. How's the lighting? I was using natural light, no flash. I was lucky, because it was rather overcast, but the sun peeked through the cloudes at the right moments.

3. Overall impression. What do you think about the series in general? What do you like / not like about it?

Thank you for looking! :D Here we go:

#1:
Sibylle02-1.jpg

#2:
Sibylle03-1.jpg

#3:
Sibylle04-1.jpg

#4:
Sibylle05-1.jpg

#5:
Sibylle06-1.jpg

#6:
Sibylle07-1.jpg

Again, thanks for looking. :D

Pax said:
1. I was going after making the pictures look professional. Am I getting close to this target or am I way off? And why do you consider the pictures on target or not?

Your're on track. The cropping/framing is very nice. Good choice of focal legnth. The background material (sheet) is a problem. Work with it some more... the creases are not good, a bit more draping might look nice, and (if you have the room) more your subject farther away from it... toward the camera.

Pax said:
2. How's the lighting? I was using natural light, no flash. I was lucky, because it was rather overcast, but the sun peeked through the cloudes at the right moments.

I think the lighting is successful. I might not be as good a choice for "common" people. Work fines with good looking models like you have here.

Pax said:
3. Overall impression. What do you think about the series in general? What do you like / not like about it?

Nice. The last shot is below par, but a very nice series. Sorry, but the makeup is frightening. Too over stated.

I hope this is helpful.

Pete

Reactions: Pax
I like photos 3 and 5 the best, and though the makeup might have been a little overdone, I do like how the eye-liner (I think) 'accentuate' in a sense her hair style.
The lighting looks great in my opinion.

She has some gorgeous eyes. The clear green is extremely different. I like how your photos captured that.

-Fiona

Thank you, Pete, woodsac, Brittany and Fiona, for your replies. :D

I can see how the sheet is a problem. I was improvising with a simple sheet like you put on your matress. I think I will iron it the next time, so it doesn't look that crinkled. I didn't notice that the sheet was a problem while shooting, yet when I saw the pictures it became quite obvious. I trief to straighten it out in PS, but that didn't work out too well, so I just let it be.

Unfortunately I don't have the room to move the subject farther away from the background. You wouldn't believe how tiny the place we were shooting at was. It was only little over 4 feet high and I had approximately one and a half square meters of space for my model. :confused: Poor wife had to sit the whole time while doing her best at looking pretty.

I see how the make-up may be overdone, but I was using my lucky moment. She doesn't allow anyone to do her make-up very often, so I went as far as I could. :mrgreen: Since the opportunity was good, I was going for something more extreme and dramatic.

Originally Posted by Christie Photo
I think the lighting is successful. I might not be as good a choice for "common" people. Work fines with good looking models like you have here.

She'll like that you said that, Pete! :mrgreen: What lighting would you suggest for 'common' people, btw?

Again, thanks, everyone, for responding. I appreciate it a lot! :D

Really like 4 and 5. Five is TOTALLY my style. I would definatly change that to B+W, and put some cool effects on it. Really cool shot.

Looked again and I also really like #1. I would b+w that one too!

Pax said:
What lighting would you suggest for 'common' people, btw

"Short" lighting is often the most flattering sytle. In short lighting, the side of the the face that is turned toward the camera (the broad side) is in shadow except of the upper portion of the cheek, just below the eye. The light will form an upside-down triangle there.

What you have here (as in view number 3) is called butterfly lighting, with the light source in front of and above the subject. I causes a butterfly shaped shadow below the nose.

View number one has "broad lighting," since the broad side of the face is lighted.

I hope this all makes sense.

Pete

bace said:
Really like 4 and 5. Five is TOTALLY my style. I would definatly change that to B+W, and put some cool effects on it. Really cool shot.

bace said:
Looked again and I also really like #1. I would b+w that one too!

Thank you, bace. :D I'll try that. What kind of cool effects do you have in mind?

Christie Photo said:
"Short" lighting is often the most flattering sytle. In short lighting, the side of the the face that is turned toward the camera (the broad side) is in shadow except of the upper portion of the cheek, just below the eye. The light will form an upside-down triangle there.

What you have here (as in view number 3) is called butterfly lighting, with the light source in front of and above the subject. I causes a butterfly shaped shadow below the nose.

View number one has "broad lighting," since the broad side of the face is lighted.

I hope this all makes sense.

It sure made sense, Pete, and I think I got everything. Thank you a lot for taking the time to explain it to me. That's really helpful! :D I'll have to try the 'short' lighting, but I'll have to figure out how to do it without lighting equipment. Maybe just turn the model around, so the light (natural window light) comes more from the side? :confused:

In answer to all of your questions, I would have to say that you are right on target with these - my favorites are numbers 2 and 3 but all are quite well done - composed - etc. I like how you did her makeup and the lighting looks fantastic! Very professional looking in my mind

Thank you, Taralyn. :D I'm glad that I seem to be heading into the right direction.

Thank you all, again, for your nice replies and input. I appreciate it very much! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back