Will the 18/55 lens on the Nikon D60 work with Nikon N90 or N80?

nicolemedina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My daughter has a huge interest in photography so I got her the Nikon D60 for xmas. Now, she has enrolled in a photograph class and they want her to go back to basics and get a 35mm camera. She mentioned the Nikon N80, but I found a good deal on a Nikon N90. Is the N90 better than the N80? And, can she use her lens from the D60 on either the N80 or N90? She has the 18/55mm lens. Thanks for any info.

I don't shoot Nikon, but through a quick google search I found this:

NIKON SLR CAMERA - LENS COMPATIBILITY CHART

That should answer your question, and I'm sure a Nikon shooter can confirm that for you.

EDIT: Also, not to sound rude, but you should only post one thread with almost the same exact question. Hopefully your body question will be helped by someone knowledgeable of Nikons.

Last edited:
My daughter has a huge interest in photography so I got her the Nikon D60 for xmas. Now, she has enrolled in a photograph class and they want her to go back to basics and get a 35mm camera. She mentioned the Nikon N80, but I found a good deal on a Nikon N90. Is the N90 better than the N80? And, can she use her lens from the D60 on either the N80 or N90? She has the 18/55mm lens. Thanks for any info.
The N90 is a bit more recent than the N80 so it's a little better.

The 18-55mm DX lens will vignette on the either of the film Nikons because a frame of 35mm film is larger than the image circle the DX lens projects.
The vignette will be worse at 18 mm than at 55 mm.
The image sensor in the D60 is smaller than a 35mm film frame which is why there will be no vignette when that lens is used on the D60.

No vignette:
Moon6-5-09_001.jpg

With vignette (simulated):
Moon6-5-09_001VG.jpg

Thank you so much. Your response is way technical for me. I know NOTHING about photography although I would love to. Maybe one day, I will inherit my daughter's cameras as she moves on to better horizons ;). I just posted another question and since you were so helpful, I thought I might ask. Is $160 a good deal for a NIKON N90 WITH 28-70 NIKON LENS, Strap, Lenscover, filter?

I would suggest contacting the instructor of the photography class. It wouldn't do to buy gear that's not approved for the class.

NO NO NO
The lens you have is made for the small sensor on the d60. The will not work with 35mm film or FX sized cameras. The newer lenses like dx on nikon are not made for bigger formats like 35mm film. I would not use this lens for that at all. Your pictures will suffer. Go to KEH.com and you can find a decent lens for that camera for around $100.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back