Wings of Eagles

absolutely amazing! I'm actually looking to start photographing these birds (there are a lot of them here on Whidbey Island in WA. Right now, I just have a kit lens, but I want to buy a lens specifically for this purpose, but my budget is under $300....any suggestions?
I don't think you can even get a decent kit lens for that... at least one with a focal length worthy of shooting eagles.

Yeah I wish I had better lense. I cant get very good pictures with my 55-200 unless I'm super sneaky.

absolutely amazing! I'm actually looking to start photographing these birds (there are a lot of them here on Whidbey Island in WA. Right now, I just have a kit lens, but I want to buy a lens specifically for this purpose, but my budget is under $300....any suggestions?
I don't think you can even get a decent kit lens for that... at least one with a focal length worthy of shooting eagles.

Yeah I wish I had better lense. I cant get very good pictures with my 55-200 unless I'm super sneaky.

Kit lenses and what Canon throws in on purchases of bodies are decent lenses but what they lack is speed they just dont focus very fast thats what separates these lenses from L lenses they are very expensive but worth every penny. If your serious about photography then I say get the best that you can cause thats what makes the images is the glass bodies come and go but lenses are the key .

Was gonna buy a 500 L, bought a EOS 1d Mark III, shoulda got the 500, now I'm broke.......After seeing those pics, I'm kicking myself. My Eagle pics are to far away for my 300 F2.8 L.....Keep up the fantastic work.....Mike

Nice. I see you are in Illinois, where you shooting at? I generally shoot my river shots at Canton, MO, which is the lock north of Quincy, IL

Was gonna buy a 500 L, bought a EOS 1d Mark III, shoulda got the 500, now I'm broke.......After seeing those pics, I'm kicking myself. My Eagle pics are to far away for my 300 F2.8 L.....Keep up the fantastic work.....Mike

Thank you Mike
Its a big price tag but worth it , one of my fellow photog buddies had a 300MM 2.8 (which is a great lens in its own right) and he was slapping a 2X Extender on it thinking he would get great shots like the 500MM delivers , ...well he just traded his 1 year old 300MM and 1600.00$ for a 2 year old 500MM

Nice. I see you are in Illinois, where you shooting at? I generally shoot my river shots at Canton, MO, which is the lock north of Quincy, IL

Thank you , these shots were taken at L/D # 14 in Le Claire IA just south of I-80 in my opinion its the best place around to photograph Eagles,its an afternoon shoot with the best light from 1:30 till dusk.

Thank you Mike
Its a big price tag but worth it , one of my fellow photog buddies had a 300MM 2.8 (which is a great lens in its own right) and he was slapping a 2X Extender on it thinking he would get great shots like the 500MM delivers , ...well he just traded his 1 year old 300MM and 1600.00$ for a 2 year old 500MM
If I could find someone who would trade a 500mm F5.6 USM IS L, in REAL good shape, for a EOS 1d Mark III in REAL good shape. And a LITTLE cash, I think I would be REAL tempted!!!!!!!!......Mike

If I could find someone who would trade a 500mm F5.6 USM IS L, in REAL good shape, for a EOS 1d Mark III in REAL good shape. And a LITTLE cash, I think I would be REAL tempted!!!!!!!!......Mike

I believe the 500MM F 5.6 is the older version. The newer version is the F4. Canon wont even service the older model 500's anymore ..something to think about if looking into buying one .

The 4th one is my favorite - but they are ALL beautiful - Great shots!!

these are fabulous shots, but one thing bugs me - I wish they were a little brighter. Maybe it's just my monitor. If they were brighter, the beautiful white feathers would pop.

these are fabulous shots, but one thing bugs me - I wish they were a little brighter. Maybe it's just my monitor. If they were brighter, the beautiful white feathers would pop.

Thank you ,I had to shoot these for most of the day -1 EC ,so I would not blow out the whites till later in the day then I go to either -2/3 or -1/3. I dont post High Res images on here they seem to pop a bit more in my High Res images here at home,I will look into seeing what I can do ....Thank you again.

the one thing i don't like about pictures of eagles is that you can never really get a good feel for the wingspan
i want to see one of those next to something easy to compare it with
i can always see a number but can't really put that into perspective

Most reactions

Back