TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.christwine.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
sscarboroughbeach.jpg

all crits and comments welcome, thanks for looking

The composition seems fine. It that a road and cars on the right? I think there's a lot to look at - perhaps too much: the clouds, the rocks, the sunset, the mist in the distance, the signature in the sky (not a fan of distracting signatures). It seems too blue, too cool, also. What kind of processing did you employ? I'm sorry, but I feel something is missing or over-done.

Thank you PaulWilliams.

@Jaemie - Yes, that is a road on the side of the mountain, you have an eye for details although personally I did not think of that as a distraction. I used a Hoya 8 stop ND filter to try and give the water a more silky feel (which is what gave it a bit of a blue cast which I thought I corrected in PS but maybe could have done a bit more), i thought the mist that came through there (often happens, in fact the place is called Misty Cliffs) was a good surprise that added to the photo.
I took 3 shots with different exposures to pick up the correct exposure on the rocks, mountains, sky and water and blended them in a HDR type of style.
I knew exactly what I wanted to shoot in my head - with the rocks, mountain, sky etc and this was the end result. I understand its not for everyone and appreciate that perhaps there is too much going on in the photo. Thanks for the crits.

Well, if I take off my C&C glasses and just look at this photo, it's clearly stunning and will surely remain in my mind for a while. :)

I think this is very nicely done. It is a tad blue, but not terrible. I'd still tone it down a bit. The rock half in half out of the frame on the bottom right is a bit distracting, but that's just nit-picking. Overall, very well done. I just picked up an 8-stop HOYA Pro1 filter, and a B+W slim polarizer. So, hopefully I'll be popping off some shots like this soon!

Good job again,
Mark

I, too, like the cold tones. There is nothing I would change about this. To me, this looks like a very nice scene that was very nicely captured. Outstanding, IMO!

Thx for all the comments :)

Markw - enjoy your new filter, it works wonders in the right situation. This was my first shot with the 8 stop filter, its very new to me too.

Seems a bit low in contrast for my tastes at least. A curves adjustment would be helpful I think.

Most reactions

Back