Winter photography, need tips! - How do you do it?

JeremyD

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey this is my first winter of photography. In the very cold weather it is very difficult to stay out for a long enough time to get good shots. As well when its snowing what would you do to keep your equipment safe? I have a lens hood and a uv filter however I don't have any protective fabric for my camera (t4i) I guess I will reaserch to see if their are DIY jigs for that. Even when I dressed very warmly I could not feel my fingers after 20 minutes out their. I have extreemly good gloves but sometimes I have to take them off since I have to prepare my equipment which then they become very cold.

This weekend I will be doing my first shots at the ski hills, I know how to keep warm while snowboarding, however my fingers get so cold when im just sitting their waiting for them to do their runs. How would you guys take shots and keep warm on the slops? Would you snowboard with them then go down near the feature, take the shot then go down again to keep warm? Or just stay at the feature which would be easier to keep all of you gear but not keep warm..

Also any other tips you guys have for winter photography in the cold would help a ton! Here in Canada we tend to get a bit of snow and reach very cold weather!

Cheers, Jeremy.

i know there is a thread here,somewhere,discussing just what your asking.Might even be in this tab....poke around a little bit,I recall seeing it.

Thanks Ill be sure to find it

Disposable heat packs are great for keeping hands warm when you are standing around, do a google earch for "grabber hand warmers".

Out in the winter cold I wore shrunken rag wool finger-less gloves inside shrunken rag wool mittens. The shrunken rag wool is essentially wind proof and water proof.
Take your time and re-warm your fingers often, instead of letting them get so cold. Zippo Hand Warmer High Polish Chrome Pocket Lighter
Hand Warmers - HotSnapZ Reusable Round & Pocket Warmers

I hate cold toes too, so I wear Raichle expedition double boots when I'm out capering in the snow.

Skip the UV filter. It causes more issues than it solves.

As far as protective fabric - buy 3 or 4 of these 2-packs - OP/TECH USA Rainsleeve - 18-Inch (2-Pack)

By the way. You might want to change your siggy to Canadian amateur

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back