with 2022 underway and new camera coming out, what are some available options cameras to upgrade?

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
say you want to shoot nice videos, 4k HD
but also want a hybrid with nice photos for your blog page, social media, own project
light weight to carry around
good in low light conditions
wifi capability
stabilization

do you choose mirrorless or dslr?

what are some options out there?

A very important question is what kind of budget are you talking about? Your best option is to go mirrorless as that's where all the manufacturer's are putting in advance eye AF and 4k, and even 8k, video recording along with ibis (in body image stabilization) and wireless connectivity. Some even have onboard gps. The well known brands like Nikon, Sony, and Canon all have mirrorless cameras with eye detect AF and good to great video capability and ibis. For better low light performance go with something like a 24mp sensor although the higher mp sensors do perform pretty well in low light and are great for landscape and portrait photography. As important as the camera body is the glass you will be looking for. In the long run, you may end up spending more money on glass than on the camera body. What glass you choose depends a lot on what subjects you intend to shoot.

Give us your budget and what you plan to shoot and we can give you some camera models and glass recommendations.

Budgetwise, I'd say around 3k for the body. However, It'd need to be great video capability, ease of usage, takes decent shots for blog, social media, products. As for glasses probably a 35-85 range as mostly shooting interviews closeup as well as showcase video of products and being able to take sharp b-roll footage.

with the price of 3k, I would imagine it would last me a good 5-10 years from today.

You might want to look at the Canon R6 or the Sony a7 IV. The a7 IV was released in November of last year so it has all the newer mirrorless AF technologies, the Canon was released the August of 2020, but is also a very solid choice. The a7 IV is great for still photography at 34mp and great for video at 4k 60p and retails for $2500. The Canon R6, which has a 20mp sensor (more than fine for social media) also shoots 4k at 60p. It also retails at $2500. The glass you get is as important as the body. You might want to get a prime for vlogging like a 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8., which are not all that expensive. Although not as flexible as a zoom, fixed aperture faster glass is really nice to have when shooting video as many report they refocus faster than slower lenses when your subject is moving around a bit and, of course, they work better in low light situations. Most camera kits are sold with a short zoom, so you might save some money buying a kit then pick up a fast prime as well.

I am invested in Nikon, but don't recommend the ones in your price range for video at this time. Still, the Z7 ($2500) is a solid performing still camera with a 45.7mp sensor with 4k 30p video capability. So, check out the Z7, or a better choice would be the Z7ii ($3k) at 45.7mp at 4k 60p. The only other 2 I recommend checking out is Panasonic, which is known for good video, and Olympus, which is more of a stills camera with video capability. I am not all that familiar with either brand, so won't make a recommendation. The big 3 of Canon, Sony and Nikon are, IMHO, safer choices.

Canon R6 with a Variable ND RF/EF adapter to use your old EF lenses.
If you're not already using Canon, then shame on you!!! LoL
SS

well, are there any camera due to release this year? a year or two old isn't bad, but I would imagine an upgrade is due for some.
also, is generally a camera that does hybrid (video and still) bad if you want to focus more on one over the other?
what are some important things to look for in a camera , so that you can get the most out of it while not buying into all the gimmicks?

well, are there any camera due to release this year? a year or two old isn't bad, but I would imagine an upgrade is due for some.
also, is generally a camera that does hybrid (video and still) bad if you want to focus more on one over the other?
what are some important things to look for in a camera , so that you can get the most out of it while not buying into all the gimmicks?
As far as releases for this year, that's iffy given the pandemic, supply chain issues, chip shortages, etc. Many are having problems delivering on already announced products. I would refer you to SonyCameraNews.com, CanonRumors.com and Nikonrumors.com for the latest on possible announcements. As I mentioned, the a7 iv was just released at the end of last year, so has all the new neat stuff. You can check on availability at Adorama.com, BHPhotoVideo.com, Amazon.com and sometimes even Bestbuy and Walmart.

The newer mirrorless cameras are very good at both stills and video. What to look for in a camera starts with what you plan to shoot and your budget. It seems like you've got both of those worked out. I believe you are looking for a general purpose camera that's pretty good at most everything, but not best at certain things For example, if someone's main interest was shooting sports or nature / wildlife, I would suggest different cameras and glass than for someone who is into landscapes / cityscapes / seascapes or portraiture, yet something different for an event / wedding photographer. If you stay with a major brand mirrorless camera made in the last year or two, you should be fine. You can't go wrong with the A7 IV or R6 or even the Z7 ii for what you want to do.

FWIW: a higher end camera will not make you a better photographer. Only studying the art and science of photography, knowing your equipment then practicing can do that. It takes a lot of commitment to stand out. Who would you rather have cover an important event, a great photographer with a cell phone or a newbie with $10k worth of great gear?

Good luck in your search for your camera and glass and I wish you success on your photography journey.

Thank you for your insight.
To answer the last question, I mean if said newbie has a 10k worth of great gear and have the fundamental down like exposure triangle, I'd go with that person.

general purpose camera would probably be something that would fit my needs. However, doesn't lenses determine that? not the camera body? Dslr/mirrorless aren't made for doing video, yet I want it to take a good video instead of buying a camcorder.
As for stills, taking product photography or fashion photography for blog post totally depends on the camera megapixels, ergonomics, sensor size, etc?

for eg. the nikon z 2 you mentioned has 45 mp vs the r 6 has 20 mp

Thank you for your insight.
To answer the last question, I mean if said newbie has a 10k worth of great gear and have the fundamental down like exposure triangle, I'd go with that person.

general purpose camera would probably be something that would fit my needs. However, doesn't lenses determine that? not the camera body? Dslr/mirrorless aren't made for doing video, yet I want it to take a good video instead of buying a camcorder.
As for stills, taking product photography or fashion photography for blog post totally depends on the camera megapixels, ergonomics, sensor size, etc?

for eg. the nikon z 2 you mentioned has 45 mp vs the r 6 has 20 mp
Bad answer. Getting exposure right is expected (the camera can do that on it’s own), but is missing the Art part of the Art and Science of photography. Composition, use of light, separating the subject from distractions and the background, dof, bokeh, …. Is what separates a photographer from a newbie.

The newer mirrorless cameras are very good at video as well as stills. Many photo blogs use milcs for their video. Many shoot at 4K or even 8k to be able to crop in post and still come out with great HD video. I suggested a fast prime for video, which will work equally well for stills, then get a zoom for it’s flexibility in general photography. I recommend something like a 20 or 24mm to 120 or 140mm zoom.

As far as mp goes, for social media you are going to resize to something like 2000x2000 pixels or 4mp images and compress that as a jpg file for posting. Many get away with a 12mp cell phone camera for product photography. 20mp or greater is fine for your stated needs. The more mp, the bigger the file sizes, which slows file transfers and post processing. Why go bigger if you are going to throw away a lot of pixels anyway? If you were in to landscape photography, I’d recommend a high mp camera, but not for gp photography where 20 to 30mp is more than enough. You can always take overlapping shots and stitch together in Post when you want a high res file just like 12mp cell phones do for paneramas. It’s not just the camera or the lens, but the combination for your stated purpose. For wildlife / birding the glass is more important than the camera, but they are equal partners in gp photography. My 600mm f/4 is worth 4x the $3500 camera I use it with, but it’s for birding where you can never have too much reach.

say you want to shoot nice videos, 4k HD
but also want a hybrid with nice photos for your blog page, social media, own project
light weight to carry around
good in low light conditions
wifi capability
stabilization

do you choose mirrorless or dslr?

what are some options out there?
I'd go on the various manufacturer's web sites, read the specifications, and buy what I wanted.

You need to go to a store that Carry’s the big 3 and put them in your hands. Shoot some video and still shots, change the lenses, etc.

After you do that you will know exactly what you want.

what are some important things to look for in a camera , so that you can get the most out of it "while not buying into all the gimmicks"?
I think this begs the question, "what exactly would you consider gimmicks?"

Most reactions

Back