Working with models...

Student

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So far I only had the chance to take pictures of my friends and I've let them pose pretty much the way they wanted. However I am meeting a model for TFP soon and I want to adopt a more professional stance. How do you research good poses for your shoot? How do you explain these to the models? Should you avoid touching the model at all even if to reposition say an arm? What is the etiquette when working with models? Thanks!

(Sorry about the noob questions, what I shoot usually doesn't stare back at me)

i used to look at magazines take pix of the pix on my iphone for references when I got there. Don't touch models

Should you avoid touching the model at all even if to reposition say an arm?

When in doubt, ASK. Always try to just vocalize what you want them to do first, and if they don't 'get it', ask to reposition them. Just don't act nervous or weird, which you shouldn't be, and go about it like it's just everyday business, which it should be.

This is a nervous one for me too,ive allways had my girlfriend to pose for me,but looking to expand ive only shot two or three more models.and ive asked at the begining of the session to reposition them if need be,but i also say when doing so.i also ask them to mirror me,like show them the pose first :)

This is a nervous one for me too,ive allways had my girlfriend to pose for me,but looking to expand ive only shot two or three more models.and ive asked at the begining of the session to reposition them if need be,but i also say when doing so.i also ask them to mirror me,like show them the pose first :)

Yeah I did that a couple of times but for complicated poses it's difficult. Basically how do you describe a pose, I mean, your model is in front of you, you have an idea in your mind but how do you position him/her.

........ I mean, your model is in front of you, you have an idea in your mind but how do you position him/her.
Talk to them, show them and talk to them. Redundancy intented. Communication is your best tool. If you get into position, albeit an abbreviated version, it gives the model something to work with. Relax, be confident, offer suggestions in slight adjustments as you're shooting.

Thing is I always sort of taught myself how to do everything myself and the stereotype of the pink shirted photographer who say "You're a tiger! Yes! Show me those claws baby!" while shooting and laughing like a madman seems sort of unrealistic.

Thing is I always sort of taught myself how to do everything myself and the stereotype of the pink shirted photographer who say "You're a tiger! Yes! Show me those claws baby!" while shooting and laughing like a madman seems sort of unrealistic.
Not at all where I was heading. Don't be seen as a GWC or MWC, but as a photographer. Explain to the model(s) what you envision along side their expectations. Nothing more, nothing less, a discussion. This should be discussed prior to the shoot.

People may get frustrated with me about using the Lastolite videos, but I think they are great on a number of levels. It's yours to decide if they work for you. Here's an example or two.

Using TriGrip Reflectors & Diffusers Lastolite School of Photography

Using Posing Tubs Lastolite School of Photography

Notice the interaction between photographer and model. Subtle isn't it?

What I do is save any photo that has a pose that I like, and I compiled them, printed them, and keep them in a notebook which I take with me while conducting photoshoots

Yes, it's nice thanks!

I find it super intimidating though, I mean I normally photography people I know well, friends and such but mainly static structures. Meeting a model I never met before and working with her is going to be frightening! Also, do I need to buy props for her or can I ask her to dress in a particular way? Do you think she will want a CD with the Photos, a server download or printed photos? What do I do if I end up with a very bad model? (She never did modelling before, never ever.)

Yes, it's nice thanks!

I find it super intimidating though, I mean I normally photography people I know well, friends and such but mainly static structures. Meeting a model I never met before and working with her is going to be frightening! Also, do I need to buy props for her or can I ask her to dress in a particular way? Do you think she will want a CD with the Photos, a server download or printed photos? What do I do if I end up with a very bad model? (She never did modelling before, never ever.)

This summer I had the experience of shooting for a local magazine. I'd contact the subject, set up a time and show up to shoot them. At first I was very nervous, being so shy and all -- and not being a professional. But I found they were just as nervous and they just assumed I was far more experienced than I was. I found that chatting with them for a bit before the shoot goes a long way towards settling everybody's nerves. I let them know up front it was a collaborative effort and not to worry about rushing through it. We'd chat, take some shots, chat some more, try this and that and slowly work our way towards what we wanted out of the shoot. If you want some practice, go downtown and start hitting up panhandlers for their photos. Pay them a couple of bucks and they'll let you take a few shots of them. It's a great way to get over the intimidation of photographing strangers.

Thanks Lazy! So, I was also wondering whether I should bring some food/drinks and music? Is this common practice? My mother is an actress and they always get something to eat. Well most of the time.

Last edited:
And appart from that, if I keep a sketch book with poses and show them to the model, would that do?

Most reactions

Back