What's new

WTB: Nikon AF-S Compatible 85mm 1.8

MichaelHenson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
746
Reaction score
176
Location
St. Louis, MO
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all!

Looking for this for portraits. I'd really like to buy from someone here rather than eBay but I'm hunting around. Budget is around $250-300ish...I'd really like to find a killer deal (wouldn't we all?!?!?!) but know that sometimes that just doesn't happen.

Any suggestions or anyone ready to part with theirs?
 
Nikon wise, for $300 you could probably get a used 85mm f/1.8D, but doubtful a 1.8G, which you would need for AF to work on your D5200.

i have the 85mm f/1.8D and it is my favorite lens. especially for portraits.
 
That's not what I want to hear... I have the Tamron 70-200 2.8 for portraits too... Just mainly wanting something other than the 50 1.8 for "street portraits." If that makes sense?
 
The 1.8g might go for around 350 or 375 used... So save a few and get that one!
 
Your Tamron 70-200 has a setting for 85 mm @ f/2.8.

An 85 mm focal length @f/1.8 on a D5x00 and a point of focus distance of 10 feet delivers a total DoF that is 0.29 feet (3.5 inches).
An 85 mm focal length @f/2.8 on a D5x00 and a point of focus distance of 10 feet delivers a total DoF that is 0.46 feet (5.5 inches).
Since the total DoF with those set ups is split right about 50% in front of and 50% behind the point of focus the 2 inch difference can be divided in 2 or 1" in front of, and 1" in back of the point of focus distance.
Online Depth of Field Calculator

I'm not sure what you expect to gain by using an 85 mm prime of as yet unknown quality.
 
I was hoping to gain a bit smaller lens that is known for its sharpness and portraiture. Not necessarily shooting wide open all the time... Am I off base?
 
I was hoping to gain a bit smaller lens that is known for its sharpness and portraiture. Not necessarily shooting wide open all the time... Am I off base?

nope. the 85mm is a pretty compact lens, and delivers great images.
 
Good to hear. I'll keep my eyes out and plan for a bit more than I initially thought. If anyone has one, let me know! :)
 
Not to dampen your spirits any, but finding a used 85 1.8G is going to be tough. Most people who purchase this lens absolutely LOVE it and don't want to part with them. Have you checked on KEH.com yet?. They are one of the largest used camera retailers in the country. Their customer service is excellent, and they warranty everything they sell for 6 months from the date of purchase. Also if you order something and it's not quite to your liking condition/performance wise they will take it back within I believe 14 days of the day you receive it.

Nikon over the past couple of years has run an instant rebate deal on select lenses (Usually around Feb/Mar/Apr). The 85mm 1.8G has been in that offer both times for $399, that is when I picked mine up. Nikon never announces these rebates, but I think it's likely that they will do it again as Camera/Lens sales have slumped in recent years with all the Micro 4/3 and mirrorless offerings coming out now.

I just checked KEH before posting this, and they do not have a 1.8G in stock at this time, but check with the site often as they constantly receive new inventory.
 
Not to dampen your spirits any, but finding a used 85 1.8G is going to be tough. Most people who purchase this lens absolutely LOVE it and don't want to part with them. Have you checked on KEH.com yet?. They are one of the largest used camera retailers in the country. Their customer service is excellent, and they warranty everything they sell for 6 months from the date of purchase. Also if you order something and it's not quite to your liking condition/performance wise they will take it back within I believe 14 days of the day you receive it.

Nikon over the past couple of years has run an instant rebate deal on select lenses (Usually around Feb/Mar/Apr). The 85mm 1.8G has been in that offer both times for $399, that is when I picked mine up. Nikon never announces these rebates, but I think it's likely that they will do it again as Camera/Lens sales have slumped in recent years with all the Micro 4/3 and mirrorless offerings coming out now.

I just checked KEH before posting this, and they do not have a 1.8G in stock at this time, but check with the site often as they constantly receive new inventory.

Yeah, the 1.8G has some seriously impressive sharpness. A little bit of CA wide open, but the sharpness is top notch, especially for the price. Whatever you do, this is the one I recommend. I should add that I've not used any of Nikon's other 85 offerings, but after using the 1.8G I have no need or interest in looking at them. The only 85mm lens that interests me is zeiss' offering, but given the price I doubt I'll ever own one.

Jake
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom