I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, after recently upgrading all of our monitors to IPS displays, I figured it was time to complete the set and get a calibration device.
It seemed like the choices were going to be between x-rite's colormunki and datacolor's spyder.
I looked at their mid-range models since i wanted more than just the basic model, but didn't really need the high end stuff like printer calibration.
it came down to the colormunki display and the spyder4pro.
google reviews showed the two as being pretty much even, and i didn't see any convincing evidence that one was significantly better than the other.
a forum search on calibration devices showed most people seemed to favor the x-rite colormunki, so i went with the colormunki display.
It was smaller than I expected, but easy to set up and use. a quick installation of the software, a few seconds to calibrate ambient light, and 5 minutes for the actual monitor calibration.
it seemed to make a noticeable difference going between the before and after when it was done, and i was actually surprised how much the colormunki changed the display from the monitors own default "auto" calibration.
hopefully a bi-weekly calibration will help us keep things consistent and more accurate from shoot to shoot. After seeing just how much the calibrator showed me my monitor was "off", i would definitely recommend anyone wanting to do more accurate editing to get one.

NMS_3174.jpg

Another big X-Rite fan here.

Joe

If you use lightroom you may have issue with exported jpg not using the color profile. You will want to save it as a version 2 profile in that case...which will then export properly. Could be because I am on an older version of LR (I don't recall). A number of write ups on the issue...

Most reactions

Back