Yay! Some flowers!

caspertodd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been trying to learn how to take photos of flowers keeping the flower in focus and blurring the background. I've also been trying out manual focus for the first time (since it seems to be impossible to get that little focus dot on a flying bee :mrgreen: ).

IMG_3528_1.jpg

IMG_3535_1.jpg

IMG_3540_2.jpg

IMG_3249_1.jpg

Try opening up you lens aperture (lower number). This will give you a shallow depth of field. Great job on these shots.

Well DOF depends on a few things, not just the aperature. It also depends on the distance to the subject and the distance from the subject to the background.

Try opening up you lens aperture (lower number). This will give you a shallow depth of field. Great job on these shots.

I had a lot of trouble with that on #4. I would widen my aperture, but I had trouble getting the stem coming out of the flower in focus. I may try it again with a little wider aperture and see if I can keep that stem in focus but blurring out the background a little more. Thanks for the comments!

JerryPH has got some nice macro shots. I think even of one with a bee in it. Since one of his shots looks so similar maybe he'll chime in with advice.

2-4 are your best here with 3 being your most interesting.

1 looks blurry kinda.

Well DOF depends on a few things, not just the aperture. It also depends on the distance to the subject and the distance from the subject to the background.

It also depends on focal length. :D

I really like #3. Try using AI Servo and only 1 focus point, that should make it a little quicker to focus.

Most reactions

Back