What's new

YES! DOF Success - Young Life Guitar

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
3,160
Reaction score
717
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I put my guitar down on the pseudo-wooden floor, set my focal length to 55mm, and took some shots! Thanks to you guys I realized why I was never getting shallow DOF, and that was because I almost always have my focal length at 18mm, so here we go! What do you think?

$z.webp $guitar2 (1 of 1).webp

Thanks!
 
Not super shallow, but quite nice! I think you ALMOST got the DoF you've been looking for. You really should get a lens with a wider aperture. Then you'll see what you've been looking for!
 
Yeah, I know it's not that shallow, but it's definitely more than I was getting before, and I like it - especially for this shot. I will get a better lens as soon as I can/have the money! Haha, I don't want to get a cheap lens that has horrible bokeh. I was looking at different lenses and saw just how terribly bad bokeh can affect your photo so I have to make sure to get the right one :)
 
Uh oh, KmH is going to whip you for using that word! Definitely understand the "waiting for photo fund to build up" game!
 
Hey, I used it correctly didn't I? I'm talking about the quality of bokeh that the lens has. Aperture blades and what not.
 
DGM,

Try coming down from F-8 to F-5.7 that your lens allows. Then focus on the bridge pegs at full zoom. Try Aperture priority and make sure to use single point focus. Cool shot, but I think you'll see better DOF going shallower as stated above. Enjoy, it's looking good.
 
Last edited:
Could have avoided the shoulder strap; it distracts especially in two; further the green reflection is not that helping; even then i like them :D
 
Yeah, my surroundings were kind of annoying, I noticed the reflection too. I fixed it as best I could, but this will just have to do. I think my aperture was at f/5.6, and I did use single point focus. I will have to look into that aperture priority though.
 
Yeah, my surroundings were kind of annoying, I noticed the reflection too. I fixed it as best I could, but this will just have to do. I think my aperture was at f/5.6, and I did use single point focus. I will have to look into that aperture priority though.
The aperture on the 2nd photo is F8...
 
Really? Oh well, guess I was wrong. Odd.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom