Yosemite National Park in Infra Red

Very interesting pictures. I really like #3, has good layering of the "element" and there is something else. It is the least busy landscape with clearly define subject (El Capitan I believe). It is an iconic rock shot so many times by AA, that it is hard to find some new angle, but in #3 I think you did it. #1: lovely "portrait" but the surroundings compete too much. There is soooo many intricate details, that the rock pales in comparison, becomes almost unimportant. Eyes are always drown to highlights. #2 as magnificent as it is suffers from the same fate. without that big tree on the left and with somewhat lighter sky it would be better. (When I resolve uploading problem, I will show you, what I mean, sorry about that for now). #4 Is just little interesting, there is not really a centerpiece in this landscape. IMHO infrared works only in #3, in the rest the trees are stealing attention.

How lovely to see the classic IR look in B&W; my personal preference. ;) I think this is a decent set; I wish you'd metered off of the rock face in shadow in #s 1 and 3, but you could probably noodle about and lighten that up. The second image doesn't have that issue and is the strongest of the set, IMHO. They all just seem a bit on the dark side, though I understand the struggle involved with getting that snappy contrast and still showing detail. A few tweaks and you should have glory. :)

Gorgeous place to shoot IR, yes? :thumbup:

IR reminds me some of the pictures I've seen of lith printing.

Lovely place! I'm headed for Yosemite myself in just a few weeks :)

In #2 everything came together. Lovely shot.

Btw, when did you visit and how many tourists were there? ;)

There will be 10's of thousands of tourists there.
Summer is the busiest part of the year for Yosemite.
Even back in the 1980's a lot of us climbers avoided Yosemite Valley in the summer because of the crowds the valley attracted back then. It's way worse these days.

I visited in late May a year or so ago. Tourists were no problem but the road repairs inside the park were. I had a motel room in the town down the road from the gate (supposedly 14 miles of so) but, I didn't know that there was an additional 20 miles or so of driving between the gate and the valley. With the roads torn up, that became a problem...

Lith printing, really? It's such a completely different process, it makes me curious to see the images you have in mind when you compare the two. :)

I wouldn't sweat the tourists, either. We've visited Zion National park, Grand Canyon, etc., several times at the height of tourist season, cabins full, etc. There are definitely people around, but it's surprisingly easy to evade them. Just avoid the typical overlooks, take advantage of any trolley system they may offer, and generally walk in the opposite direction of the crowd. There are thousands of acres to enjoy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back