Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You take the shot where you can get it.
This is at 2 PM in the afternoon on a plaza overlooking the Mekong in Nong Khai, Issan Province, Thailand and the part in the sun was white hot.

Monks are 'required' to serve twice - once in their teens and once when they are older.
Clearly they carry over habits into monkdom.

12413-MonksCarsNKTh00014.jpg

I've noticed that my pictures get very few comments. I can only make on of two or three assumptions:

1) they are terrific and every is dumbstruck
2) they are terrible and boring thus no-one gives a crap
3) I am invisible

I am a little depressed today so I pick 2) and I'm going to go commit suicide a little.

(If someone had a loved one commit suicide and is offended that I used the term casually, well, I'm sorry about your loved one but the world cannot / will not intuit your pain and conform. I'm also cranky.)

Well I rarely comment because I have too much to learn to be able to provide any useful technical advice, but I do know emotions and this picture cracks me up! The boys look like they are having fun, and I don't usually associate "monks" and "fun" in the same train of thought. Thanks for sharing!

Well hell last time I commented, you zinged me.... rofl..

It is a well crafted picture of an interesting subject.

Better still you make a point I try to make a lot recently. You have to shoot em like they lay most of the time, especially if you are not being paid by them to make the shot. So sometimes the lines aren't perfect, and the highlights aren't perfect, or the shot is overall lacking in one thing or another. When the choice is 'take what it gives you' or use the camera around your neck as ballast, I say shoot it. Do what you can then tell those of us who critique you unfairly to just **** off.

Now none of that applies to this shot, I am just venting.

Well I rarely comment because I have too much to learn to be able to provide any useful technical advice.......

A really good exercise is figuring whether or not you like something as a 'picture'; whether the structure, colors, treatment, post-processing all go together and are pleasing or not. Most people need the non-technical feedback first on the picture. That requires no technical expertise and yet teaches you how to critique.

The boys look like they are having fun, and I don't usually associate "monks" and "fun" in the same train of thought. Thanks for sharing!

These kids are not career monks but are merely doing the first of their two 'tours of duty' that Buddhism requires. Shortly after taking this picture, I met a monk who entered Buddhism and became a monk about the age of 40. He came from Philadelphia and was about the size of a commercial refrigerator. He saw me looking at his many tattoos (English) and said hello.

I wish I could see their faces from the front...looks like they have an interesting combo of intensity and glee :sillysmi:

The left-back corner of bricks seems distorted to me...too light, lack of detail? Just looks out of place to me and I can't quite pinpoint it.

I've noticed that my pictures get very few comments. I can only make on of two or three assumptions:

1) they are terrific and every is dumbstruck
2) they are terrible and boring thus no-one gives a crap
3) I am invisible

I am a little depressed today so I pick 2) and I'm going to go commit suicide a little.

I was unaware that you could commit suicide a little??? LOL
Cheer up little pup! You take great pictures. Guess what? That husband I have that is rarely amused or interested in the photos on this site really likes this one. He said 'wow, that's cool' Not sure that is what you were looking for but coming from him, it's a compliment.
Don't fret, You're among friends.

Most reactions

Back