Your first customers

achua00

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
HI all, I am interested in starting a photography business and was wondering, how did you all build your portfolio? I primarily just take pics of my kids and I need to diversify...any suggestions besides asking friends to borrow their kids?
Thanks.

I assume you are thinking of specializing in portraits, particularly kids?

I'd suggest that you shoot anyone you can. Your kids, family members, friends, co-workers, neighbors etc. You can build your portfolio while working on your photo skills and hopefully impress some people along the way. I'd suggest that you be upfront with people and tell them that you are building your portfolio to go into business. So you can do it cheap or free...but make sure they know that that won't last long and if they want you to shoot their kids again next year, it will cost them. In the mean time, they get a good rate on a shoot and you ask them to spread the word about your business to all of their friends.

And keep in mind, when you arrange your portfolio, don't think that more is better...especially if it's a bunch of shots of the same subjects. For example, 8-10 great shots is better than 8-10 great shots and 15 mediocre shots. So just use the best of the best of your shots...even if you don't think that it's enough.

Yes, I'd like to specialize in children's portraits/family.
Is it necessary to "start" the business (legal aspect...paperwork etc) prior to building the portfolio?
Thanks for any input.

I wouldn't try to start a business until you have:

1. A range in your portfolio (people spot it right away if you are always showing the same subjects over and over).
2. You have time to commit yourself.
3. You have a website so that people can review your work
4 Before you set up a DBA, a business plan, and go to the State tax office to apply for a Tax Permit. (This is a big one)
5. A plan for what you will do if you have an unhappy paying client

But no, if you aren't charging money, you don't need to do any of the above. The moment you start you need to do most of the above, especially number 5

Is it necessary to "start" the business (legal aspect...paperwork etc) prior to building the portfolio?
Thanks for any input.
Absolutely not....building your portfolio is just taking photos after all.

But the minute you start to charge someone for your goods or services, you probably do need most of the above.

I wouldn't try to start a business until you have:

1. A range in your portfolio (people spot it right away if you are always showing the same subjects over and over).
2. You have time to commit yourself.
3. You have a website so that people can review your work
4 Before you set up a DBA, a business plan, and go to the State tax office to apply for a Tax Permit. (This is a big one)
5. A plan for what you will do if you have an unhappy paying client

But no, if you aren't charging money, you don't need to do any of the above. The moment you start you need to do most of the above, especially number 5

Regarding #5....do you mind if I ask what do you do? I believe I'd either re-shoot, or refund them their money...those are the options I'd want if I was unhappy.

Advertise free shoots... craigslist, friends, family, coworkers, etc. We have an email shop at work and I have gotten most of my portfolio clientele from there. :)

Advertise free shoots... craigslist, friends, family, coworkers, etc. We have an email shop at work and I have gotten most of my portfolio clientele from there. :)

What do you mean by email shop? I know this sounds silly but I am almost afraid to ask friends to "practice" on because I don't want them to judge me if they think I'm not that great of a photographer?

What do you mean by email shop? I know this sounds silly but I am almost afraid to ask friends to "practice" on because I don't want them to judge me if they think I'm not that great of a photographer?
If you are afraid to ask your friends...how will you be able to ask strangers for money?

Having confidence is a big key to being successful in business and in life. If you want to start a business (especially a small business like this) you really have to sell yourself...it's just as or more important than the quality of your work.

So besides practicing your photography on your friends & family, use this as an opportunity to practice being confident in your photography and in yourself.

It's perfectly normal to feel nervous or even apprehensive...but overcoming that or at least hiding it away while you are working/shooting, is certainly a skill that you (we all) need to work on. I'd even say that being nervous about a shoot, shows that you really care about how it turns out, which is a good sign...but don't let it prevent you from doing a shoot or affecting the quality of your work.

It is something we have here at work - it's a listserv for us to email out to mostly everyone on campus (who has signed up) regarding things for sale, services, advice on purchases, product/company reviews, etc. Just think about where you have the largest access to possible clients. Church, work, etc. Many folks will jump at the idea of a free photo shoot, and it helps out families who may not be able to afford photos normally, and also helps beginner photogs to build their portfolio.

Hi achua00. I'm a wedding photographer. Therefore I can't really reshoot.

Fortunately I've never had anyone upset with their wedding photos. (But if I ever got blindsided with someone who was a zilla or whatever, I have insurance and legal advice in place for that).

I've had a couple that was not happy with their first engagement photos. It wasn't that they didn't like the quality of the photos, we just had a miscommunication about their expectations (sometime when they say contemporary, they really mean "new traditional" and I neglected to shoot coverage of both) . Also the bride was not happy with her physical appearance. We communicated better, and I became aware of the things she was insecure about, and we reshot everything and everything was good again. But if I ever screwed up and couldn't make it right, I would give a refund. (Provided I revolked the photos).

But that's kinda the thing we need to know before diving into that pond. We shouldn't ever charge for photos before we are ready to take on all the business aspects and responsibilities that go hand and hand. We have to have a plan for not just what we are going to do with the money we make, but also to have a plan of what we will do if we screw up or do business with someone who will never be happy.

The easiest way to avoid that of course is to be a professional. In your craft and in your business dealings.

Because we don't have to have a special license for doing photography, some assume that it's simply a matter of putting up a free/cheap website and opening up shop and that's where people end up in big trouble with liability issues, tax issues, personal issues, and all the rest. Having been around a while, I can't tell you the amount of times I've seen photogs go through one or all of the formentioned.

I would never discourage someone from getting out there and doing what they love. I'm just saying love what you do enough to do it justice and do it as right as you know how to. Protect yourself and your profession. The road is littered with those that didn't know or didn't care.

If you want to take photos to practice....just be honest. Put up a craigslist ad saying that you want practice in taking photos and building your portforlio. Tell them perhaps that you will happy to send them a print of the session if they agree to let you use the photo in your portfolio. (If they want a print, I'd assume they liked the photos). Do this for free and for the love of learning until you get to a place where you are more confident.

@ Big Mike: thanks, I needed that pep talk! @ Amazing Grace, thanks for the info; @ bennielou: I appreciate your help tips/advice too. Wow, there's a lot to think about besides getting better at shooting. Is it necessary to get it in writing that I want to be able to use the photos as part of my portfolio? Can anyone come sue me for putting a photo up on my future business website if I didn't get written permission first? thanks.

A related question, if I may...

Do I need a model release in order to use a photo in an online portfolio?

I sometimes shoot charity events for free, and those events include pictures of kids. Since I don't know who the kids are, I can't go back and get a model release for them. Is it a problem to use them in my online portfolio (provided, of course, that I'm not actually selling that picture)?

Thanks,

Zev Steinhardt

I am not a lawyer, so I don't know the answer... But I can tell you that I have two images on my web site that I took in public places and I use them in the context of "editorial photography". I do not claim them to be models or clients.

Since I also sell both of those photos as editorial through Microstock, I am making a big assumption that it's okay for me to use them in this fashion on my commercial web site.

Most reactions

Back