Zahra and Bahir's- Groom's Family Wedding Reception

bennielou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was hired by the groom's family to do the 2nd reception. (I was bummed that I didn't get to do the week of the actually wedding stuff!!!!! The bride's family hires all those vendors).
Anyhoo, this was my "first" on two counts. It was my first full out Indian Event (I've shot Indian weddings before but they were of the Westernized variety), and my first Muslim Event.

Wow. It was so different from anything I've ever done. I've learned that Muslim/Indian events are very sedate. Everyone and everything is very formal. The beautiful dresses called shalwar-khamis are super beautiful and ornate. The one the bride wore weighed over 40 lbs as it was covered in crystals.
Other differences I noticed, was that of course no alcohol was served, but sparkling cider was served in champagne glasses. I kinda freaked out when I saw a little kid running around with one, and then I realized.....:lmao:
Another thing, at the groom's reception there is no cake, no cake cutting, none of that. it basically goes down like this:
1. "Cocktail" hour with Middle Eastern Style Buffet service. A meet and greet.
2. The bride and groom arrive and are seated on a stage. They walk in very slowly, and very regally. Every move is very deliberate.
3. Then there is a recitation from the Holy Quran. I have no idea what the words meant, but it was done as a type of song and it was absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.
4. Then they do the speeches. It was the first time in over 500 weddings that there was absolute silence during the toasting. You could have heard a pin drop. Seriously.
5. Then they had a beautiful plated dinner with 3 entree choices. That went on for about 2 hours.
6. Then after dinner was over, the bride and groom go back to the stage. Guests start to line up in all sorts of groupings, and from then on out, it's nothing but family formals. Two hours of family formals in every grouping you could ever think of. I was talking to an Indian friend of mine who does tons of Indian Receptions, and he said, "Indians REALLY like their photos taken!" Yes, indeedy, they do!
7. The food and decor is OVER the top. Enough to feed several thousands instead of the 600 people there. And it's all of the best of the best of the best. I was talking to the groom's dad and he explained that in the Muslim religion, it's not death till you part. It is from this life to the next and divorce is not an option, so when a couple is committed enough to marry, they go all out. (Please no religious or political feedback on this, I'm just explaining the viewpoint). As my Indian Photographer friend explained to me, "once you are married, in the Indian/Muslim faith, that's IT! If you picked wrong, sucks for you!" I thought that was funny.

So enough talking. I just wanted to illustrate the difference in case any of you guys end up doing this type of things, or to get feedback from Indian or Muslim readers on the forum. Also, I want to say that I'm totally open to all feelback, and I won't be a butt. :mrgreen:

The room:
Zahrablog01.jpg

Some of the decor:
Zahrablog02.jpg

General food stuff:
Zahrablog03.jpg

Desserts:
Zahrablog04.jpg

Guests:
Zahrablog05.jpg

More goodies:
Zahrablog06.jpg

More deserts:
Zahrablog07.jpg

The couple. Obviously done in a very formal manner:
Zahrablog08.jpg

Zahrablog09.jpg

The speeches:
Zahrablog10.jpg

I just thought this was a fun shot:
Zahrablog11.jpg

Some friends of ours. On the left is a DJ I've worked with for many years. On the right is this cool guy who shoots amazing video on a 7D. I thought you guys may think his setup was cool. I know I did.
Zahrablog12.jpg

Anyhoo, I really (promise....no finger's crossed!) welcome feedback. This was a first for us, and I'm a bit nervous about it.

Last edited:
Cindy, I see your moving away from your earlier work. Or at least it looks like that to me. I really like these much more. I think they illustrate more realism and photojournalistic qualities. Nice set thanks for sharing. The reception looked amazing.

Cindy, my biggest critic is the inconsistent borders. If you look at the right frame, it is not lined up.
Zahrablog01.jpg

Also if you look at other collages you can see that the borders between pictures arent the same in thickness. But the photos are great!
Zahrablog04.jpg

Hi Dee,
Thank you VERY much. Indeed I am trying to go back to more of my PJ roots. I was happiest shooting that way. They were fun to me. I started to change when it wasn't catching on as fast as I wanted. Thanks again.

Cindy, my biggest critic is the inconsistent borders. If you look at the right frame, it is not lined up.
Zahrablog01.jpg

Also if you look at other collages you can see that the borders between pictures arent the same in thickness. But the photos are great!
Zahrablog04.jpg

Thanks Schwettylens. You are absolutely right. I made these up really quick in PS.....but maybe too quick. :) But they aren't for an album or anything, just for blogging purposes so I don't have to upload a zillion photos. But you are right though, I should take a bit more time. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back