Zip locks - trust them?

Artrina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently bought a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS. It's the most expensive camera I've ever purchased. I have several family events coming up at campgrounds. (kids and grandkids at campground; hubby and I spending nights in nearby motel) Knowing where we will be and our family luck, rain is a distinct possibility. Some of the best kiddie pix happen in the rain. In the past I've kept my $75 camera's in zip locks and in my jacket. Should I be as trusting with the new camera or are the heavier bags sold in camera shops worth the expense?

Donna
PS - What a great resource this site is! You people talk in plain English! I'm having a ball looking around!

Canon do a waterproof housing for that model reasonably priced, I think it allows swimming to a depth of 3 metres, that'll keep your baby dry. H

when i first got my powershot, I kept it in a ziploc bag when i went to the beach or pool. worked fine, especially against the oil from tanning and sand. :) But it's good to invest in a good case.

I'd stick with good ziplock bags, and stay away from no name store brands, but yeah, I think so. I've used them in a pinch to shield my cameras. Works great usually, though I don't know that I would risk a pro camera. If I was going to spend $1000 on a camera I might think twice about getting a good pro protector too.

If I was going to spend $1000 on a camera I might think twice about getting a good pro protector too.

And make sure you have insurance on it.

Thanks for the comments. I played around some yesterday and the zip locks seemed to work well. I have some Zip Lock brand bags and will bring several with me. We're also bringing a portable gazebo tent that I can sit under, too.

Zip locks all the way ;)

Big zip lock bag supporter - have used them for years, never failed me, and even used them on shoots in the rainforest (Malaysia) and up in the snowy peaks of Germany and Switzerland.

ZIPLOC - the one and only brand ;)

But a good housing is of course better - if also more expensive and adds more weight when moving around a lot

Most reactions

New Topics

Back