MissMia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.shotbychristina.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Theme: FOOD

Show us your favorite meal, snack or treat. Remember to get creative and have fun!

Please post current photos only. Everyone is encouraged to participate!

I am totally kicking myself! I went to the State Fair yesterday before I knew what the assignment was and this is the closest thing I got to it.
2411539143_b9575cdcf4_o.jpg

A Bowl of Popcorn.

I took this under regular light without a flash using a custom white balance. Took some time to get the white balance right.

Popcorn.jpg

Oh this sounds like it is going to be a fun project.

Rouladen (or Rinderroulade) is a German roulade consisting of semi-cooked bacon and onions wrapped in thinly sliced meat then cooked. Various different recipes can be found on the Internet. "Beef shank" is the obvious choice of beef due to its low cost and good flavour. The "rouladen" are slow roasted with carrots, celery and leeks until the meat is tender and nicely caramelized. The "Rouladen" are than removed, the pan de-glaced with some red wine and vegetable stock. This is reduced until a nice sauce consistency has been achieved. More details are below:
Tradition: The filling varies from region to region, in some areas, a "stuffing" of ground pork and beef with pickles is used, in others only onions. In all regions the flattened meat is covered in hot mustard and ground pepper before strips of semi-cooked smoked bacon are placed on top, the filling added and than the meat is rolled up to form the traditional elongated shape. A thread (traditional) or toothpick (modern) is used to hold the roll together during the slow roasting which takes between one and two hours depending on the regional preferences. The most traditional cooking method would include searing enough rouladen to cover the bottom of a deep heavy bottom pan or pot. The bacon is semi-cooked first and the grease is maintained for the searing process. Rouladen is turned only once until seared on opposite sides and then adding red wine and a vegetable stock to deglaze the pan and slow the cooking process. The pan is then covered and placed on a raised iron mount in front of an open fireplace for the slow roasting period. The height of the iron mount and the distance from the fire will determine the temperature of the slow roasting process. Perfecting this process takes time, an easier method would use a conventional oven at 175 degrees Celsius (350 °F). Rouladen are served with either German potato dumplings or boiled potatoes. Roasted winter vegetables are another common side dish. Red wine is traditionally served with all types of rouladen. Like most celebratory meals, rouladen is traditionally served for dinner.
The dish is often considered a food for common people, but this is incorrect. Rouladen is traditionally a celebratory food for the wealthy and upper-middle class. Original rouladen was eaten at the end of hunting season (mid-winter). The beef rouladen common today has become popular over the past century. Original variations include venison, wild boar, and common pork. Many food scholars agree that original venison was probably venison and pork.
ROULADEN.jpg

Creative... but I don't really want to say what the meat looks like...:taped sh::fangs:

Creative... but I don't really want to say what the meat looks like...:taped sh::fangs:

i know my wife says the same thing ,but it is soooooo good. just wish i could have found the red cabbage to go with it !
bp

Each time I think to take a shot for this assignment.......it's to late!

Haha Take a pic of your stomache...

^^ I've got a better idea, give me a few to work out the kinks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back