1/500th flash syn - give some examples

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As the title says. My camera has flash sync speeds up to 1/500th of a second which a lot of people seem to see as a selling feature for the D70 and and D40 series. So, can people post some examples of where 1/500th flash would be useful. I'm thinking of maybe outdoors to where the subject is lit and the sky/backgound is darker, but would like some idea's so I can get creative with it.

I have an SB-600 + Stofen by the way.

I think it's more advantageous when you have bright sunlight and you want to add fill flash to eliminate harsh shadows...but I have yet to practice with this myself so don't hold me to that.

Dunno I'm not that sold. 1/250th does the job for me:
843754872_bf44df3af1.jpg

I'm with Marcus. If you are shooting in bright sunlight and want/need to use a fast shutter speed but need the flash as well then 1/500 would be nice to have. My D200 is 1/250 and that's always been more than enough when I need both speed & a flash ....

A couple of weeks ago I shot a wedding on a beach in California at about 2PM on a cloudless day...I would've killed for a 1/500th sync speed.

1/500th makes it easier to block out the sun without using more flash power and it's easier for freezing fast action without halos.

this is about 3 in the afternoon, outside.
2338249599_1bcf83efb1_o.jpg

Good example of action, strobe is at camera right.
2400818946_c3d45e9b01_o.jpg

Another action example, this guy was going past me pretty quick, and I was only a few feet from him, so there's alot of camera movement. 1/500th blocked out the sun (for the most part, you can see ambient in the background) and was fast enough to freeze him. 1/250th at ISO 100 would mean the strobes would need to have twice as much power and as for the image above, there could be a black halo around him from motion blur.

2 strobes, one at camera left, another at camera right for fill.
2399993055_37f92fcce3_o.jpg

oh, and these were done using SB-600's with Nikon's CLS

Thanks for the tips and awesome examples Sw1tchFX. I'm going to definitely play around with the useful feature of my camera.

2307637098_278739e493_b.jpg

This was 1000th sec flash sync with a window as a background in daylight.....

I love the 1/500th sync speed on my d1h. Great for action sports.

I agree, for freezing stuff thats moving fast you need it, especially if you cant get an angle thats away from the sun.

For slower stuff you can always use a ND, or stack with a polarizer if the mood dictates.

They have to do some amazing tricks to shoot some of those high speed shots of things breaking and stuff...amazing stuff

Sw1tch gots the sweet pix.... nice flickr man...

This is not all the same exact shot, but it was the same location all at the same time and it'll give you a good general idea. This is all around 6PM with strong direct sun coming in the WEST facing of our house which is wide open to get the harsh afternoon sunlight.

First a shot with no flash at all. Obviously you're completely hosed here with a total blowout.
DSC_3265-vi.jpg

Next is 1/125s with flash, and you're still hosed with a total blowout.
DSC_3266-vi.jpg

I did 1/500s with flash next and was going to go back and do 1/250s but unfortunately the sun dipped behind a cloud and it wouldn't have been consistent. Obviously this is much better and you're able to completely neutralize the harsh light and get a balanced exposure on the face.
DSC_3267-vi.jpg

Here's 1/250s with flash from a slightly different orientation with the sun coming directly in the window from the deck. This is "adequate" for harsh light and you can get the light you need on the face with a reasonably balanced expsoure, but the deck is still completely blown out.
DSC_3248-vi.jpg

And then here's 1/500s with flash two shots later. I actually don't like the shot (bad expression, lol) but it's as close to the same exact shot I had as the baseline at 1/250s. You can see now that the deck is actually balanced out in the exposure thanks to the 1/500s sync. You can't really see it in this one, but there's actually detail on the top of her head now whereas it was sorta washed out in the previous.
DSC_3250-vi.jpg

And then here's two more at 1/500s sync.

DSC_3252-vi.jpg

DSC_3257-vi.jpg

At least for fill flash, you only really need 1/500s in truly HARSH lighting conditions. In our house especially with the direct WEST facing where we get really harsh light in the evenings, the 1/500s flash sync on my D40 is invaluable. If you're trying to freeze action and 1/200 or 1/250s won't cut it, 1/500s is invaluable too. My daughter on a swing is quick enough to really push the limits of 1/250s, and if you combine that with some really harsh light, 1/250s becomes useless. I had to toss a whole session of swing photos from my D80 once because it only does 1/200s flash sync and it just would not balance out the harsh light like my D40 will. The faster sync will also let you shoot at a larger aperture for less depth of field which is useful for portrait photos, although you can just use a neutral density filter for that as somebody already pointed out.

Daylight 1/500s flash sync photos can start to look "too" flashy if you don't truly have really harsh light, so you'd either want to back the shutter speed off a bit by a stop to 1/250s such that you're proportionally capturing a stop more of the natural light and a stop less of the flash's light if that's still fast enough to freeze whatever action you're capturing, or just stick it at 1/500s but use some negative flash exposure compensation so that it backs off the flash power a bit and then either shoot at a larger aperture or a higher ISO to again proportionally capture more of the natural light and less of the flash's light.

I'm still learning flash technique so if I'm off on any of this, someone please feel free to correct me.

So is it me, or do none of the higher end dslr's have 1/500th x-sync capabilities. The D3, D300, D80, and D60 don't, but the D40 does. None of the Canons do. It sounds like a pretty useful function from what you guys are sayin. Is there a reason taht all these cameras only go up to 1/200th or 1/250th?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back