1 For C&C

bazooka

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.dirtjournal.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What I don't like about this shot is the highlights are just a bit blown, but other than that, I'm looking for other things that I'm not seeing... things that I could improve upon before I take the shot. Any comments are welcome, but I'm hoping I can get specific things to try, look out for, avoid, or otherwise think about the next time I have a similar shot like this. Thanks!

For what it's worth, this was taken with my DiMage Z2 (cheap "SLR-Like" P&S).
F/5
1/640
ISO 50
This is straight out of the camera.

PICT0126.jpg

Besides the fact that it is blown out, I do like it. I would consider cropping the left half so the birds head/eyes aren't quite so centered and removeg some of the dead space. Some radical PP might also make it shine. B&W would be good also because the only real colour is a relatively boring green.

i think it needs a warming filter and some contrast, possibly throw a soft focus layer in photoshop and you get this:

PICT01261.jpg

hope you dont mind, but i like your photo and i thought to give you some hints on how to improve it but in the end it comes down to each individual's style.

Thanks to each of you for the comments. I actually really like the color of the wood and the pier caps but I agree that the contrast in sburatorul's edit is an improvement and a tighter crop off the left side would help. I'm not sure I like the warmer color though.

Here is a tighter crop with contrast only. I'd play around more but I only have XnView at work to edit on.

Another thing I noticed is that the rope at the bottom right keeps distracting my eye.

PICT0126-1.jpg

Thanks! Anyone else agree with the above critiques or see anything else that could have been done differently?

The depth of field is great, the subject is focused pretty good, and I agree the wood and pier caps are nice. The only thing throwing me off is the washed out area below the birds face.

The only thing throwing me off is the washed out area below the birds face.

Yup, agreed. I only have this in jpeg though so I guess it's not repairable, eh? Oh yeah, handing out "thanks" to all C&C'ers. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back