100% Noob.

spakky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have no camera as of now, but I am looking into getting a Nikon D40.

What are the downsides of this camera?

I want to take photography seriously, so I want a camera that will last a while.

Teach me everything! Tell me all you know, or all you want to type.

Feel free to add me on msn, [email protected], or just email me.

I don't know how often I will check back here, so email me if you want.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

The best thing to do is get a few books and start reading. The internet is good, too. Asking around on these forums is great, but you have to keep coming back to read our responses and to ask questions.

The major downside I see with the D40/x line of cameras is the lack of an autofocus servo in the camera's body. The problem with this is that it means that cheaper, older Nikon F-mount AF lenses will not autofocus with this camera (you can still meter and manual focus etc.). To autofocus, the consumer must perchase AF-S lenses or any lens with a built in autofocus motor (this means a Nikkor AF-S lens, Sigma HSM lens, etc.).

How much are the lenses?

Any sites you know of that have cheap or used camera gear?

I was also looking at cameras, and a bunch said "body only". What does that mean? Like no extra lenses or anything?

How much are the lenses?

Any sites you know of that have cheap or used camera gear?

I was also looking at cameras, and a bunch said "body only". What does that mean? Like no extra lenses or anything?

Body only means just the camera body without a kit lens.

The kit lens that usually ships with the D40/x has an AF-S motor and the kit with the lens is usually just a little bit more than body only.

The price of lenses vary. It all depends on focal range, the quality of the glass, the speed of the lens, if it has other features (VR, PC, etc.) and numerous other factors.

I buy all of my equipment from B&H photo. Adorama is good for used stuff and you can sometimes get good, reliable stuff off of eBay.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
http://www.adorama.com/

I looked on that BH place, they have a good deal with a d40.

What are some other cameras I can look at that would be good for a beginner?

i dont know much of anyhting about digital but if its what youre going for you could probably get a used canon 20d or 30d with a lens that fits the kind of pictures you want to take and youd be set. or you could get something cheaper like a rebel xt and invest more in lenses.

I love my D40, but I see myself purchasing a new camera within the next year and a half. Unfortuately the D40 only works with lenses that have a built in servo, so only AF-S or certain Sigma HSM lenses. This excludes auto-focus capability with all Nikon prime lenses and most good macro lenses. As long as Nikon keeps the DX format I will be happy since I will be able to use my glass when I upgrade.

The D40 is a great purchase if you want to enter the DSLR arena for a very low cost (like me, starving college student). But expect to replace that body quickly as you want to progress.

Of course if you want to go used you can find an older D50 that has the built in servo the D40 lacks. I also suggest http://www.dpreview.com when your looking for your camera, they have great indepth reviews for what seems like every digital on the market.

Nikon D40
Canon 400D
Pentax K10D (K100D? Sorry which is the entry level? my brain isn't working)
Sony Alpha
Olympus E-410 E-510

All are entry level. I suggest you look at your budget and go out to your local camera shop and have a play with each and pick the one that feels best to you. The D40 and the Olympuses are small, but the others may feel better in your hand.

I love my D40, but I see myself purchasing a new camera within the next year and a half. Unfortuately the D40 only works with lenses that have a built in servo, so only AF-S or certain Sigma HSM lenses. This excludes auto-focus capability with all Nikon prime lenses and most good macro lenses. As long as Nikon keeps the DX format I will be happy since I will be able to use my glass when I upgrade.

The D40 is a great purchase if you want to enter the DSLR arena for a very low cost (like me, starving college student). But expect to replace that body quickly as you want to progress.

Of course if you want to go used you can find an older D50 that has the built in servo the D40 lacks. I also suggest http://www.dpreview.com when your looking for your camera, they have great indepth reviews for what seems like every digital on the market.

There are actually many newer Nikon primes that have AF-S.

Another nod for DPreview--it's a great site. Also check out PBase.com and their camera museum there to see some images that different cameras produce to help you compare IQ.

I just purchased a Nikon D40x with the 18-55mm kit lens. I also bought a 55-200mm zoom lens as well and I love it.

I don't know how long it will be until I get to the point where I think the camera is limiting me, but as long as you understand that the D40x can limit your lens choice, mostly due to the higher cost of the lens, you can make a decision on whether this is the camera for you.

Most reactions

Back