100mm f/2.8 IS L

FrankLamont

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A little undershadowed by the release of the 7D, the 100mm f/2.8 IS L has also been released.

It appears to be priced at $1200. ~ USD

To convince me, it would have to outperform the 85mm f/1.8 and 135mm f/2L optically. (those are two of my all time fav primes) As a prime medium telephoto, I wouldn't give max aperture for IS.

If it's anything like the Nikon 105VR, it should be stellar.

It's and IS macro lens though - many a macro shooter on the canon side would love the lens just for that aspect. Also its L status (I hope) means that it will take canon TCs so no more having to have 3rdparty sets in the bag as well.

But its price puts it in a very expensive bracket - up there with the 180mm L - and that could be its downfall

While IS is good for the handheld shots, half the time you'd be working with a tripod. ;)

Why?
Handheld macro is what I have used for a vast majority of my macro work :)

Well, working at that DOF I tend to like to shoot with a tripod, but of course it is cumbersome.

Hmm. It's hard, balancing whether paying the extra for the L is worth it or not.

I would wait a bit and see - canon often gives things massivly high RRP on release and a few weeks/months down the line the retailer prices have often fallen by a couple of $/£ 100

It is an expensive lens though - especailly by macro standards.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back