1st Portrait...C&C needed

AdamZx3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I can say I have a newfound respect for portrait photographers! My sister let me practice with her today but i'm not satisfied with the results. My biggest challenge was getting any kind of a non depressed expression. Saying something funny/stupid seemed to be my only saving grace, then nail the shutter. She also didn't really want to be out there and complained about being cold, I think that could be some of my problem too. She also doesnt like to smile.

My second problem was the lighting I think. I shot in the shade for most of these because the sun was kind of harsh (2:00 pm) The first one was in the sun (behind me ) and I used a tripod, remote and used a makeshift reflector to my left. I have a 32" photoflex on the way but it was backordered.

Poses seemed to be harder than they should be, I only have a few trees around the house, and lots of open grass and a field. Once the reflector comes in and she's more in the mood (and fixes her hair!) I will find some better spots.

so here they are, out of about 60 shots there where 5 or 6. please keep in mind you won't hurt my feelings, I just need to know what to fix :)

DSC_2555.jpg

DSC_2597.jpg

Abbi02.jpg

DSC_2586.jpg

#1 I know needs some light in the shadows on her eye, I almost needed a relfector on my right too.

I actually don't like forced smiles, so I never get people to make them. The best portrait photographers take photos which describe the people, so if your sister likes frowning or is moody then take a photo to reflect that. It makes the photos look far less posed. The bottom one is great in that respect, it simply says "why am I here"

As far as the photos themselves, while you haven't fully clipped the highlights on the first one you have clipped the red channel giving that yellowish glow on the shoulder, nose and top of the forehead. I find this actually more annoying than a highlight which is clipped fully to white. Other than that I also love that one.

Number two is a bit too contrasty for my tastes, number 3 is better in that extent.

And remember these are just opinions. No one can tell you how you should be taking the photograph, so don't let my or anyone else's suggestions cramp your style.

I think you main problem is your time of day. At the time of day you shot these it is hard to get a really nice image.

Thanks guys,

What's the best time of day to be shooting at? I wanted to go out during the last few hours of light (the golden hour from what i've been reading up on). Also there's only a handfull of days in the year that aren't overcast in our area (we actually have a huge arsenal built here so that its hidden from satellites all but 20 some days of the year!) will this overcast situation be a problem that needs worked around or is this a good thing?

Also my reflector should be coming in today or monday so i'll have some more pictures uploaded later. And hopefully I can get my friends sister to pose for me, she used to be a model...hopefully that makes it easier on me lol.

Adam, I find it a bit easier to shot portraits of people I don't know or don't know that well. I think it is because I can flirt with them and joke to get them to smile. My family and friends know most of my jokes and would know that I was trying to get them to smile for the camera. I think a wireless remote helps so that you can step away from the camera just before shooting.

Good start with your shots.

Number one is very nice. She seems a lot more natural in that photo.

will this overcast situation be a problem that needs worked around or is this a good thing?

It can definitely be a good thing as it gives you safe even light to work with.

You mentioned you were trying to stay to the shadows. You should try getting out there when it is overcast. You wouldn't have that harsh light to deal with :).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back