1st Portrait

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Rhodes7586, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Rhodes7586

Rhodes7586 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    First shot a a portrait C&C greatly appreciated. TIA 1) [​IMG]

2. LoveAlwaysJami

LoveAlwaysJami TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hello! The sky looks gorgeous, as does the little girl. It feels a bit disconnected to me though. Maybe if she was looking at the camera (good luck.. haha) But I LOVE THE COLORS!

3. timfrommass

timfrommass TPF Noob!

It's an interesting take. I would also like it better if she was looking into the camera, and it looks like you missed the focus on the face/eyes a bit. Also, I would have liked to see either a little less or a little more of the body in there, it just seems funny where you cut her off for some reason

-tim

4. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think it would look a lot stronger if you filled the frame more with her. Crop down and on both sides.

5. iskoos

iskoos TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would like to ask a question: What are the guidelines for portrait photography? Or what makes it a portrait?
    When I looked at this picture first, I couldn't immediately say if it was a portrait.
    I believe having the main subject as human alone is not enough to call the frame as portrait.
    Personally I would like to see more of a human in this shot.
    But hey, I am not the authority:)

6. Live_free

Live_free TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The sky looks to be the main subject, better exposed and the colors pop. She just looks dull and not very interesting.

7. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would crop it to a portrait orientation. Did you have to lighten the child's face? It looks like you may have, which lost some contrast. Not sure what it is. A little bit of fill flash would have worked wonderfully for this shot, which would also add catch lights to the eyes.

I like the idea of looking up and the sky as the backdrop. I have one of my daughter like that which I just love how it turned out. She was above me on monkey bars though.

The child looking into the lens would have been great (as already mentioned). She has a cute little smile going.

Your profile said okay to edit, so I hope this is okay, I'll remove it if you want, no problem. Just an idea what I was talking about with the crop and what fill flash may help to achieve. I added catch lights to the eye and brightened them just a touch. I have not added catch lights in post very much, so I may not have done it right, so this is just to illustrate the concept.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010