Suggestions for first mirrorless camera and lenses

TantalizingMoon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm looking for my first camera. I've got 2 budgets. I'm looking to spend around a thousand, maybe a little more, on the camera then maybe $500 on a lense.

I'm between the Nikon Z5 and the Canon R8 right now. Both used. If you have any other recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate them.
And if you could give me some lense suggestions for either the Z5 or the R8 or whatever you suggest, I'd appreciate that as well. I'll be shooting mainly portraits. Then a little bit of landscape and some video. I'm willing to get 2 lenses if I have to. Thanks!

FWIW, I am invested in Nikon and won't be switching any time soon. Both the Z5 and R8 have similar specs, but the R8 is a newer (2023 vs 2020) and the R8 has a better AF system. Go with the R8.

Left Nikon for Fuji. Great compact designs. Superb lenses. Mirrorless system pioneers.

I went from Nikon DSLRs (D850) to Canon Mirrorless (R6 MkII & R7). I was already familiar with both systems. I tried to stick with Nikon and had a Z6, but the autofocus just wasn't as good and accurate as Canon (at that time). Canon seems to have nailed the algorithm for subject tracking/focus. You don't mention what kind of photography you practice, but IMO Canon for any kind of action. I also have an older Sony A7R2 with some wide angle lenses for more static shots. I carry it on my hip while shooting wildlife with the Canon. It's full frame and high resolution and pretty reasonable price on the used market. The AF is very slow, though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back