2:1 and 1:1 macro?

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What's the difference really? When I see sample shots hey both look macro to me. Can someone explain this?

They are both macro. It's just a magnification ratio. Anything 1:1 and greater (2:1) is considered true macro.

1:1 means that the subject is the replicated on the sensor at life size. 2:1 means it is twice life size.... or it is magnified 2x over 1:1. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1:1 => The max. size of the image that projected on the sensor/film is the same as the subject size.
1:2 => The max. size of the image that projected on the sensor/film is half of the subject size.

For a special lens such as the MPE-65 lens, it is a 5:1 so the max. size of the image that projected on the sensor/film is 5x the subject size.

They are both macro. It's just a magnification ratio. Anything 1:1 and greater (2:1) is considered true macro.

1:1 means that the subject is the replicated on the sensor at life size. 2:1 means it is twice life size.... or it is magnified 2x over 1:1. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
2:1 would mean the subject is half the size of the sensor....so you are not able to get closer than that and still be able to focus. I think this is correct...try google. I may be off on my explanation but 1:1 is definately closer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back