2 pics - my brother and I

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
tried some different lighting stuff last night, here are the results (just snaps):

johncowboy-sm.jpg

straightforward2-sm.jpg

for strobists:

first shot with a 580ex into a 30" white umbrella, about 4 feet above him and a little in front of him. the 580ex triggered a 430ex on his left side, shot through a 46" transluscent white umbrella.

second shot was a 580ex shot into a 30" white umbrella, a little in front of and above me.

both shot with the 5d+24-70L combo.

thanks for taking a peek!

the first one is a little bit to hard cut out , the border of the hed is to sharp, but still a nice picture ..

I love the second one .. great lightening and that only with a flash and a umbrella .., what were the settings of the 580? was it in full manual ? , I use nikon so I'm not sure what you can setup in a 580 , but little curious

The technical aspects very nice as usual. I LOVE your conversions.

On the shot of you, I wish you could have been behind the camera to direct yourself. I'm feeling like I want your chin down a bit, but find the shadows under the brow a little... scary? BUT, you do have light on the eye lids... hmmm.... maybe this is just right. I think it's your eye color that's making this work.

Pete

PS oh! The first view a keeper! Did you try bringing down the values on the hand?

thanks all!

the first one is a little bit to hard cut out , the border of the hed is to sharp, but still a nice picture ..

I love the second one .. great lightening and that only with a flash and a umbrella .., what were the settings of the 580? was it in full manual ? , I use nikon so I'm not sure what you can setup in a 580 , but little curious

I'm not sure what you mean about the first picture...did you mean the border of the hand was too sharp (?)

thanks about the lighting on the second! I was shooting manual on the 580, i think at 1/16th power...

The technical aspects very nice as usual. I LOVE your conversions.

On the shot of you, I wish you could have been behind the camera to direct yourself. I'm feeling like I want your chin down a bit, but find the shadows under the brow a little... scary? BUT, you do have light on the eye lids... hmmm.... maybe this is just right. I think it's your eye color that's making this work.

Pete

PS oh! The first view a keeper! Did you try bringing down the values on the hand?

thanks for the compliments pete! yeah i agree it would be nice to not have to blindly compose...if I had other willing models it might be easier to test lighting :) I was going for a contrasty (but not too contrasty, just moody) butterfly lighting attempt, similar to a 22-30" beauty dish. If I put the umbrella more in front of me the shadows weren't quite as dramatic, and if i put the light more above my head the eyes became shadows and didn't show as much detail.

about the first one...I actually didn't bring down the values on the hand...although i think i dodged some highlights (very little) to add some contrast. the light was pretty soft, and I was shooting at f/2.8, so the vignetting helped.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back