24-70 Alternatives?

AlexColeman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just spent alot of money on my D3S, and I am looking for a midrange zoom. The 24-70 from Nikon is a bit out of my reach, and I want to know if i should go with an alternative, or just save up for nikons 24-70?

I would try and locate a decent copy of the 24-85 AF-S, which is a pretty good lens and FF capable; the range it has is excellent. Thom Hogan's web site has a review of the lens I do believe.

Edit: here is the review URL http://www.bythom.com/2485lens.htm

Last edited:
Used Nikon 35-70 2.8 on Ebay are less money and IMO they are a great lens if you can live without VR. I think I paid somewhere around $360 for mine.

Sounds good. Any others?

Scratches head, if you dropped that much coin on a D3S, you should be able to afford a few really nice pieces of glass, at least I'd think anyways...

I'd save for the 24-70, it's an incredible lens.

I shoot sports, got a 70-200 and 200-400, now just need to save up for a mid.

Scratches head, if you dropped that much coin on a D3S, you should be able to afford a few really nice pieces of glass, at least I'd think anyways...

Why? If I saved up and finally got enough to buy a d700 does that mean I should be rolling in enough money to buy the holy trinity as well? By looking at his sig it seems like he does have some nice glass. People do work for things its not all handed to us.
TJ

Why? If I saved up and finally got enough to buy a d700 does that mean I should be rolling in enough money to buy the holy trinity as well?

A D700 is half the cost of a D3S and while not quite as much body, it's plenty capable... I don't see the validity in your comparison. But generally I would try to buy glass first, if I had 5K to spend on a body I'd make sure I had the $ for the lenses I needed, if not I'd go with a used body or something cheaper. In any case, I was only offering my opinion.

By looking at his sig it seems like he does have some nice glass.

I agree, and I also see he mentioned he has a 200-400 which is an expensive lens. It wasn't listed in his sig.

People do work for things its not all handed to us.

No clue where that came from, I never said otherwise.

Used Nikon 35-70 2.8 on Ebay are less money and IMO they are a great lens if you can live without VR. I think I paid somewhere around $360 for mine.

That lens is VERY prone to hazing of the internal elements. So make sure you don't buy "as-is."

Sigma sells a 24-70mm f2.8 and tamron has a 28-75mm f2.8.

The tamron seems to get better reviews, but I use the sigma on my d700 and have no complaints.

IMO, just skip the 24-70, you've already got a 17-35, and the 70-200, and for your midrange, the 50 f/1.4, which will be better than any 24-70. You've got the range that you'd be using covered, so save yourself some change and spend the money on a trip instead.

About the lens thing, I bought the lenses I need, the teles, now I am just looking for a lens for personal use, which doesn't take precedence.

I'll second the AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4D as a stopgap solution while the financials gain momentum.

All major buying decisions are governed by one question. Do you want to pay a little and have to buy it again later when you're outgrown/destroyed it, or do you want to do without for a little bit and save so you buy it once and have it last forever.

You bought a body. That will be outdated in a few years probably. Your glass will not get outdated. If you buy good now, you will not have to replace it later as you discover that you could do much better if you had good FAST glass.

Bodies are an expense. Glass is an investment.

My 2¢.

Cheers!

Most reactions

Back