24-70 f2.8G on a D7000

I just bought the tamron 24-70 f2.8 vc two days ago, an I couldn't be more happy... The range is perfect for me on the d7100.

Utter waste because you are carrying a larger lens than you neeed to

That doesn't make any sense. If he wants an f2.8 aperture in that range, the 24-70 2.8g is good. Or are you arguing that the smaller tamron is better on a crop?

I think he was referring to the 17-55 2.8 as being more logical on a crop sensor. It's cheaper, lighter, and gives you a wider FOV (17 vs. 24).

To the OP, I see no waste. Go for it!

One of the whole points of a crop sensor is to be able to use smaller and less expensive lenses. That was the selling point of crop sensor. Unless it is to be a bridge to a fx camera, using a 24-70 means you're carrying a larger lens that isn't wide enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... using a 24-70 means you're carrying a larger lens that isn't wide enough...

...for you.

the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is only 0.5" shorter and half a pound lighter than the tamron 24-70 2.8.

The tamron 24-70 is much sharper throughout the entire sensor area than the 17-50.

and since it's cheaper it only has things like 7 non-curved aperture blades that don't make for a better final image and can't manually focus override. Sure it's half the price, but it's simply not as good.

If 24-70 is ultimately the focal length you want, then the only reason to ever buy DX glass over FX simply because it's cheaper and not as good.

if you want something wider than 24mm--dont buy a 24-70.

Last edited:
I seem to be in the minority, but I feel like 24 mm on DX is not wide enough for a mid-range zoom. I shoot both FX and DX and when it came time for me to decide my mid-range solution (DX only at the time) I chose the Nikon 17-55 mm f/2.8. Many people will say that buying an expensive DX lens is a waste and I certainly understand that point of view. I can only say that I have only become more interested in wide and ultra-wide perspectives as time has gone by and I would have needed to add another wide angle option for DX had I gone with the 24-70. The 17-55 can be had used for $700-$900.
Even in FX I chose to go wider with the 16-35 f/4 so my needs may not match the OP's. I'm not saying that the 24-70 isn't excellent, I just think that one needs to know what they shoot before they spend $1800 on lens because they heard it's good glass.

My DX 2.8 zoom kit:

D7100
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
Nikon 17-55 f/2.8
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8

I may be in the minority, but I find 24mm too wide and I'd rather have a longer mid-range zoom that reached to 105-120mm. I find most my shots with my 24-70 end up between 50 and 70mm.

I didn't buy the FX lenses I have because they are FX.
I bought them because of their focal length zoom range, maximum lens aperture capability, and optical quality.

Buy the lens that does the job you want it to do.
Obviously, a DX lens on a FX camera body pretty much means all the FX pixels the camera has can't be used because a DX lens projects a smaller FoV.

How does the tamron focus ??? On the d7100
It's great.. I went to the county fair last night with it and it nailed focus in the dark very well.. I've only had "kit" lenses (18-105, 35 & 50 1.8) untill now the the speed and accuracy is shocking compared to what I'm used to. And the vc is great. Only bad shots I came out with were my fault directly.. very happy with it. On that note.. I don't think I would be as happy with the Nikon equivalent because of the vc..

Yes, the VC is amazing. I have a hard time shooting my 85mm now because I'm so spolied.

One of the whole points of a crop sensor is to be able to use smaller and less expensive lenses. That was the selling point of crop sensor. Unless it is to be a bridge to a fx camera, using a 24-70 means you're carrying a larger lens that isn't wide enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The only problem with that is if you look at what is out there, you can get FX lenses for less than DX lenses, especially if your camera has an in-body focus motor.

The thing about dx vs fx for me is there just is not any dx glass in this focal range with a fast aperture like this, unless I'm unaware of it. And for me the added effective focal length I get from using a fx lens on my crop body is just a plus.. sure I could get a dx lens with these focal lenghts but there just not to quality that I'm looking for. I'm going to be a secondary shooter for a fella that does lots of weddings so I'm going to be getting the shots of lesser priority than bride groom shots. So even though 24 isn't that wide on crop it's wide enough that I can grab a shot of a group of 5 or so am still be close enough to speak with them an they know that they are in the shot. At the same time I can get a nice head an shoulders shot without being in someones face. All at f2.8 and with vibration compensation.. not something any dx lens to my knowledge can do.

Sure I could use a 35 or 50mm 1.8 for that but 1.8 is such a shallow depth of field that focus is critical, at that point I'd stop down to 2.8 or smaller and at that point I may well have a 2.8 zoom that covers all that plus more.. again, no dx lens that I know of can do it.

Plus when I move to a fx body ive got a great lens already I don't have to count that into the cost of upgrading and I'll get a 70-200 to put on the d7100 an use that for the longer stuff... Win win either way you look at it. If I want to go wide angle which I've never done much of, I'll grab a real wide angle lens.. I don't really need wide so not a concern.

Last edited:
I am curious about something though: DXO Mark states that the 24-70 f2.8g gets 15P-MPix on the D610 as well as the D800. Does that mean that the effective resolution detail you're getting is the same between the sensors? They give a decent explanation on their website, but they're biased toward their own methods, so I'm not sure if I'm getting the whole story.

Also, do you know how DXOMark gets its numbers on say... a crop sensor? The 24-70 f2.8g gets a lower P-MPix score of 12P-MPix, but the center of the lens is supposed to be sharper. They are measuring at 24mm f2.8 on crop, and 35mm f2.8 on full frame, so it's difficult to make a direct comparison at the same actual focal length.

I don't get that either, but if you look at the field map, it pretty much green throughout, especially compared to any 17-50 2.8 DX lens.

Most reactions

Back