2nd body

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by wet, Aug 19, 2009.

1. wet

wet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a question to ask, if someday I am rich enough to buy another camera body, which one should I get to compliment my 5D II? I love to take indoor & outdoor portraits, wedding pictures & wildlifes.
    Thanks.

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some day when you're rich enough to buy another camera body use the one you have now as a second body and buy the latest technology for your new setup.

:)

3. choudhrysaab

choudhrysaab TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    or donate one to your fellow Photog *pointing to myself*

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The usual advice is to get a very similar body.

For example, it could be annoying if your 2nd body was a rebel because the layout and ergonomics are all different. Not to mention the crop factor. That's not something you want to be fiddling with during a wedding.

You might consider the first generation 5D, or maybe even a 50D (although the 50D does have the crop factor).

Ideally, a 2nd 5DII would be good...but if we are spending that kind of money, you might as well get a 1 series and relegate your 5DII as the 2nd camera. :D

5. robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1d MKx

where x=the latest 1d

6. MarkV1184

MarkV1184 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm unsure about how Canon's lens/frame system works, so this is all based on what I've heard. Since you have a 5DmkII, i assume all your glass is full frame... Does the glass even fit on crop body mounts? If the glass doesn't even fit, I would say that the only secondary body you should buy is another full frame Canon, ie. 5DmkII.

7. camz

camz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's actually the other way around. Lenses only made for cropped body like the ef-s series can't be paired with a full frame.

:thumbup:I agree with Big Mike. The second body I find very beneficial when it is similar to your primary camera.

8. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Did you know that "if" is the largest word in the English language? Perhaps you should add "dreams" to the end of your username. :biglaugh:

I shoot Nikon so I am fortunate. I could leave it at that, but I will ellaborate. The difference that BigMike speaks of is a seamless transition for me between the D300 (croppped frame) and the D700 (full frame). They are virtually the same body only that the D700 has all the guts of the D3. My favorite combination is to have the 24-70mm lens on the D700 with the Black Rapid camera strap and the 70-200mm lens (mounted on a monopod) on the D300.

Perhaps Canon has something on a similar line. I don't know. But good on you for forward thinking. You may also want to look at this thread.