30d too much?

damianx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi everyone, this my first post (yay)

first some background info:
ok, so im planning (well,actually my parents) to buy a new dslr, since im turning 18 my parents decided to get me a present (a really big one i'd say),so they told me i could get a new camera.let me tell you im new to photography and im really interested in learning as much as i can (im taking photography in school so i know about shutter speed, iso and such)

so here's my question:

i really dont know if i should get a canon rebel 30d (1,499) it comes with a canon ef 28-135 f /3.5-5.6, or get a canon rebel xti (400d)

remember i wont be getting another camera until god knows when.....
so should i just go with the 30d or get the 400d?

thanks in advance.

well, depending on how far you plan on going with photography, i'd suggest the rebel if you're just doign it as a fun hobby, but if you want to get serious about it, maybe look at the 30d... a lot of people are really happy with the rebel, and the 30d is a great camera to, but it comes down to how you're going to be using it i guess... I dont know... anyone else have an opinion? lol

oh, i didnt realize the 30d had a full frame sensor, yea, i'd probably recommend that one then...

Welcome to the forum.

The EOS 30D is a good camera and so is the XTi. The XTi is slightly newer and has a 'better' sensor but the 30D is a bigger, more robust body. The feel of the camera and the layout of the controls is different. I suggest that you go to a store and hold them both...see which ones feel best to you.

It would probably be in your best interests to get the cheaper camera with a better lens. The 28-135 is an OK lens...but it is a bit long on these cameras. I suggest getting the standard kit lens (EF-S 18-55), or the EF-S 17-85 F3.5-5.6 IS.

i would definatly go with the 30d with the full frame sensor over the 400d
oh, i didnt realize the 30d had a full frame sensor, yea, i'd probably recommend that one then...
The 30D DOES NOT have a full frame sensor. It's the same APS-C sized sensor that is in the Rebel cameras. The only cameras with full sized sensors is the Canon 5D and the 1Ds etc.

Welcome to the forum.
I suggest that you go to a store and hold them both...see which ones feel best to you.

It would probably be in your best interests to get the cheaper camera with a better lens. The 28-135 is an OK lens...but it is a bit long on these cameras. I suggest getting the standard kit lens (EF-S 18-55), or the EF-S 17-85 F3.5-5.6 IS.

yes i did today, and the 400d feels too small,not bad though. I really like the 30d but it makes me think it's just too much.

another thing,money is not a problem right now so its not about getting the cheapest one.

oh and last thing...the standar ef 18-55 is too regular and not that good (that's what i read)...and the 28-135 is a really good lense to start ...i can't afford to buy another one in a coulpe of months.

Welcome to the forum.
thanks bro

The 30D DOES NOT have a full frame sensor.

Oh sorry thats just what the guys told me at wolf when they were trying to get me to buy one. The guy was like i would much rather have a full frame 8 megapixel 30d than the xti or the a100. So sorry about that for the false information

yeah, thanks zioneffect564... now you made ME think it was full frame too! haha, i like your camera by the way :)

If at all possible I'd try to make a deal with your parents for either the 30D, or the 400D with an extra lens (depending on what you are going to be shooting, the 50mm 1.8 is an amazing lens and only costs 100 bucks extra)

The dust cleaning that the 400D has would make it worth it IMO. They dont work perfectly, but its the peace of mind that counts.

As for the 400D feeling small, all the rebels are small, but as long as your hands aren't uncomfortable on it, a battery grip really adds to the gearth and feels a ton better.

man, with all the hype I give the 50mm 1.8 (and 50's in general) I should consider putting it in my sig.

oh and last thing...the standar ef 18-55 is too regular and not that good (that's what i read)...and the 28-135 is a really good lense to start
That lens gets a lot of bad press on the internet...I think most of it is because it 'feels' like a toy and is not actually based on how it performs. It is near the bottom of the barrel for Canon lenses, but it only costs about $100 when purchased with the camera. It's not actually that bad...but if you have the opportunity to upgrade, by all means, do so.

The problem with the 28-135mm, is that it's not nearly as wide as the kit lens (18mm vs 28mm). This can make a big difference, especially on these digital cameras. Canon has a lens that is basically a digital version of the 28-135...the EF-S 17-85. They both have IS, which is a great feature. I would suggest this lens over the 28-135.

The problem with either of those lenses (and the kit) is that the maximum aperture is relatively small. If you are looking to get a better lens, you can't go wrong with a 'faster' (bigger max aperture) lens. I have both the 18-55 kit lens and the 17-85 lens but I upgraded to the Tamron 18-50 F2.8 because it has a maximum aperture of F2.8 (smaller number is bigger aperture) across the whole zoom range.

Oh sorry thats just what the guys told me at wolf when they were trying to get me to buy one. The guy was like i would much rather have a full frame 8 megapixel 30d than the xti or the a100. So sorry about that for the false information
Don't worry about it :)
Take a good lesson from this, don't believe everything you hear in a camera shop, especially from someone who is trying to sell you something.

The 400D is awesome. The lens that comes with it is knocked a lot by people (most of whom don't use it). In all but the most difficult of situations at 10 X 8 (A4ish) or less you will not see any difference.... Any way if you buy the 400D you will have saved enough money to buy Yorkshire, So a lens should be no problem...
I sell pictures from a 400D... (And with a clear conscience).

haha wow u guys sure love the rebel 400d.I thought the 30d was slightly better, after all it's a more expensive camara

and i also thought the 28-135 was a nice lens to start with..
so i guess im wrong about everything?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back