40 year old glass- the 'Afghan Girl' lens

I know this is old but. I like the dog's. the question is what do we think.
I believe that's the wrong question. The question should be, what do you think!
Answer: I love it! (and the dogs)

I think he is referring to the lens being the same model that was used to capture the iconic 'Afghan Girl' by National Geographic on their June 1985 cover. ;)

I knew that, but could not pass up on a chance to comment. It's a fantastic lens, legendary. I use the first edition, pre-AI on my film and digital rigs. (Kodak Portra 400 film, Nikon 105 f/2.5 glass).

Eastern Eyes.jpeg

Nikon 105 .jpg

I knew that, but could not pass up on a chance to comment. It's a fantastic lens, legendary. I use the first edition, pre-AI on my film and digital rigs. (Kodak Portra 400 film, Nikon 105 f/2.5 glass).

View attachment 267221
I should have known that given my own warped sense of humor. This is a stunning photo that showcases the capabilities of that lens.

I should have known that given my own warped sense of humor. This is a stunning photo that showcases the capabilities of that lens.
Could also showcase post processing skills, might it not, and have been taken with most any decent lens?

Could also showcase post processing skills, might it not, and have been taken with most any decent lens?

Very little post processing. Being new to digital photography, my post processing skills are almost non-existent. As long as we’re on the subject, what software, program is recommended for converting color to B/W? I have Lightroom, but just don’t get the results that I see from others. 😢

Thanks

Very little post processing. Being new to digital photography, my post processing skills are almost non-existent. As long as we’re on the subject, what software, program is recommended for converting color to B/W? I have Lightroom, but just don’t get the results that I see from others. 😢

Thanks
I use Lightroom CC, and it does a decent job with the different presets. I just posted a couple in the past day or two, one of a hummingbird, and the other of my dog Daisy. It's pretty amazing what LR CC can do in auto, and then playing with the sliders can get one even closer to what they are looking for. My last film camera was a Yashica, but it's in a box somewhere, and I haven't used it in decades.

Very little post processing. Being new to digital photography, my post processing skills are almost non-existent. As long as we’re on the subject, what software, program is recommended for converting color to B/W? I have Lightroom, but j,m

deleted.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}ust don’t get the results that I see from others. 😢

Thanks
Great, that's how I like to work as much as possible - get it the best you can before tripping the shutter.

Last edited:

It shows how having a photographer's eye is paramount.

So far, everyone is talking about gear, post-processing, sliders, specs, aperture blades blah blah blah.

Always wondered about just how many "105/2.5" cheerleaders actually owned and shot that lens distinct from the echo chamber chorus fetishists. It's a very old picture(1984), albeit a good one, that always said to me more about McCurry than his gear. Personally, I like the E series 100/2.8.

As long as we’re on the subject, what software, program is recommended for converting color to B/W?😢Thanks.
I've never converted a color file to black and white. The most I've done is open a color file (usually TIFF) in Windows Photo Viewer and printed in black and white.

I gotta start searching for some of this glass! And some converters

... As long as we’re on the subject, what software, program is recommended for converting color to B/W? ..

Questions like this cannot be answered in any context.

Program A might be great for converting Image 1, but Program B is better suited to convert Image 2. And that comes with the caveat that all depends on what you want your final image to look like. And since there is no 'one' possible (and hence desired) result, there cannot be 'one' possible app that can produce all the variations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back