jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My cactus is blooming again, so I decided to experiment a little with different lenses. This particular plant is a rescue that broke off of another plant. They are very fragile. A little rooting hormone and sticking it in some moist potting mix, and it took off. This plant is about a year old now. Godox TT685 ii C speedlight used in all shots with the Canon EOS R7.

1 Sigma DC 17-50mm EX HSM f/22 1/250 ISO 1600 @50mm
jan10202401 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

2 Sigma DC 17-50mm EX HSM f/22 1/250 ISO 1600 @40mm
jan10202402 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

3 Tamron Di II SP 10-24mm f/8 1/250 ISO 1600 @10mm
jan10202403 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

4 Tamron Di II SP 10-24mm f/8 1/250 ISO 1600 @10mm
jan10202404 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

5 Sigma EX DG Macro HSM 105mm f/8 ISO 1600 @105mm
jan10202405 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

6 Tamron Di II VC HLD 18-400mm f/40 ISO 1600 @400mm
jan10202406 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Nice set Jeff. I like #3 the best. The "vignette" helps make the blossoms pop. I like the composition better also.

These are the prettiest little flowers when they bloom! But yes, I agree about their fragility - I had one once and recall how easily a touch can knock them off.

I like #3 for the square format - it works well here. Good views from every angle.

Gotta wonder why you didn't move the background stuff in #4, though.

Nice. Wonder if a touch of diffusion/repositioning of the flash wouldn't take these up a notch?

Nice set Jeff. I like #3 the best. The "vignette" helps make the blossoms pop. I like the composition better also.
Thank you! The "vignette" is more a result of the fact that the flower is in a low light area and I used a flash, but it works.
All very nice shots except the background of number four.... :encouragement:
Thanks! Yeah, I might try that one again tomorrow and move those items off of the shelf temporarily.
These are the prettiest little flowers when they bloom! But yes, I agree about their fragility - I had one once and recall how easily a touch can knock them off.

I like #3 for the square format - it works well here. Good views from every angle.

Gotta wonder why you didn't move the background stuff in #4, though.
Thank you! #3 was done with my wide-angle lens, and it worked well. I was concerned there would be too much distortion, but it turned out. Um, because I was lazy... 😁
Nice. Wonder if a touch of diffusion/repositioning of the flash wouldn't take these up a notch?
Thank you! Alas, I don't have the equipment to mount the flash to the side. I really should get something, because that would open a whole new world of opportunities. I did use dual diffusion, the diffuser on the flash and a flash mounted box diffuser. Maybe I can get creative and find something to further diffuse the light from the flash. I tried a ceiling bounce, but that did not work.

I don't have the equipment to mount the flash to the side. I really should get something, because that would open a whole new world of opportunities. I did use dual diffusion, the diffuser on the flash and a flash mounted box diffuser. Maybe I can get creative and find something to further diffuse the light from the flash.

Something like the Manfrotto SuperClamp or a knock-off offers all sorts of options for attaching flashes almost anywhere to almost anything. I'm all for total Mickey Mouse diffusion hacks. Just play with box shapes, sizes and diffuser materials. Same thing for ghetto continuous lights--Maglites, cheap LED flashlights, etc. Friends us those retina-burning 12v auto emergency spotlites behind huge diffusion panels. Endless possibilities to get the look you like.

This took a small Maglite diffused with Kleenex. Dice sat on the top of my burr coffee grinder lid plopped on a desk.

DICEAa.jpg

Nice group, no.3 for me also.

Beautiful set! Favorite is the last one

Oohla, a year old and already a flower ! That's seldom to cacti, no ?
Nice work, and good that you repotted this one! The flower is your reward :)

I have had a flowering plant here at home too where I wanted to take a good picture from, but it didn't work like I expected.
I tried to have a blurred background, I put some colored cloth behind, but the result wasn't good enough.

Nice set. I have one that has also started blooming again, must be our crazy up/down weather. In the words of Dolly Parton "It's so confused it doesn't know if it should wind it's butt or scratch it's watch". LOL

As CGW said mounting the flash off camera will elevate these. L brackets are cheap, or even better put it on a stand for further separation. Eliminate the shadow cast on the wall, move the flower further away when using flash (6' or so at minimum). Also, as mentioned, I've used a little LED Maglite to paint small subjects with light. Takes a little experimenting to get your exposure right but the results are amazing, with less chance of blowing the highlights.

I'd also recommend looking a Focus Stacking for close ups to increase your DOF.

Light painting a dandelion
Dand03022018_525.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

I don't have the equipment to mount the flash to the side. I really should get something, because that would open a whole new world of opportunities. I did use dual diffusion, the diffuser on the flash and a flash mounted box diffuser. Maybe I can get creative and find something to further diffuse the light from the flash.

Something like the Manfrotto SuperClamp or a knock-off offers all sorts of options for attaching flashes almost anywhere to almost anything. I'm all for total Mickey Mouse diffusion hacks. Just play with box shapes, sizes and diffuser materials. Same thing for ghetto continuous lights--Maglites, cheap LED flashlights, etc. Friends us those retina-burning 12v auto emergency spotlites behind huge diffusion panels. Endless possibilities to get the look you like.

This took a small Maglite diffused with Kleenex. Dice sat on the top of my burr coffee grinder lid plopped on a desk.

View attachment 271014
I found a flash stand I can mount my Godox on, but first I have to figure out how to get the flash to fire wirelessly. My R7 sees the flash and vice versa, so it's a matter of figuring out which setting I need. The manuals aren't entirely helpful.
Nice group, no.3 for me also.
Thank you!
Beautiful set! Favorite is the last one
Thank you!
Oohla, a year old and already a flower ! That's seldom to cacti, no ?
Nice work, and good that you repotted this one! The flower is your reward :)

I have had a flowering plant here at home too where I wanted to take a good picture from, but it didn't work like I expected.
I tried to have a blurred background, I put some colored cloth behind, but the result wasn't good enough.
Thank you! This particular cultivar seems to like to flower. I found one trick that seems to help is to add a fertilizer, Miracle Gro in my case, to the water about once a month. It may be that which triggers the blooming.
Nice set. I have one that has also started blooming again, must be our crazy up/down weather. In the words of Dolly Parton "It's so confused it doesn't know if it should wind it's butt or scratch it's watch". LOL

As CGW said mounting the flash off camera will elevate these. L brackets are cheap, or even better put it on a stand for further separation. Eliminate the shadow cast on the wall, move the flower further away when using flash (6' or so at minimum). Also, as mentioned, I've used a little LED Maglite to paint small subjects with light. Takes a little experimenting to get your exposure right but the results are amazing, with less chance of blowing the highlights.

I'd also recommend looking a Focus Stacking for close ups to increase your DOF.

Light painting a dandelion
Dand03022018_525.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr
Thank you! Focus stacking is something I haven't added to my skillset yet, but will need to give it a try. I try not to move this plant, due to its fragility.

I found a flash stand I can mount my Godox on, but first I have to figure out how to get the flash to fire wirelessly. My R7 sees the flash and vice versa, so it's a matter of figuring out which setting I need. The manuals aren't entirely helpful.
Well, I was going to suggest a sync cable as I always found the wireless connection a little wonky, but a little research later, I'm not sure the R7 has a sync port. :apologetic:

Thank you! Focus stacking is something I haven't added to my skillset yet, but will need to give it a try. I try not to move this plant, due to its fragility.
Focus rails run from a few bucks to expensive models, for hobbyist I've found the inexpensive ones to be okay. As to moving the plant, I wouldn't shake it much, but I haven't had any problems moving mine around.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back