40D vs. D300

What is an L series lens? Well the answer is below, and an L does not have to be telephoto, it doesn't even have to zoom. It just means it is simply the best Canon has to offer. Click for some of the best Canon info you can get.

L-series lens explanation:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-L-Lens-Series.aspx
Canon 40D Review:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-40D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx
Canon EF 17-40 F/4 L review:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-17-40mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
Canon EF 70-200 F/4 L review:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

(use the links at the bottom of this site to read about Canon gear)

thanks, ill have check out those link right now....but,

i just checked out the spec on the D300......it says it can shoot 8fps...HOLY! thats fasttt!....i gotta wait till i can see one and play aorund with it...maybe ill change my mind about the 40D:lol: hmm.......

thanks, ill have check out those link right now....but,

i just checked out the spec on the D300......it says it can shoot 8fps...HOLY! thats fasttt!....i gotta wait till i can see one and play aorund with it...maybe ill change my mind about the 40D:lol: hmm.......

you don't need 8 fps(also the D300 drops to 6 fps when the battery charge drops a bit) if you're going to be getting bad lenses because of the price difference. The 40D is a constant 6.5 fps which is nearing 7 fps. My 20D shoots 5 fps and it's substantial.

D300's are out. My husband just got mine two days ago at Ritz, no waiting list, no pre-order.

It's wonderful. But like someone else said don't buy a nice camera and put crappy glass on it. Get a less expensive camera and put put the rest of the money into lenses then upgrade later and you will be much happier.

You guys are kidding me right? To start with, the EF-S 17-85 is not a crappy lens. Its fairly decent by all estimates. For a first camera and such, I would not reccommend an L lens unless you can afford it. Than why stop at the f/4? Get tthe EF 24-70 f/2.8 L. (I kid) The 17-40 f/4 L and 70-200 f/4 L;aka the "gateway drug" of L lenses, are great lenses price in the $550-600 range. The 17-40 is a bit short in reach for an all-around lens. IMO. The 70-200 leaves you without anything to cover close to mid-range stuff. Unless you stand a good 40-50 feet away to get to nice group photos or get both lenses and fill the gap with a 50 f/1.8. If I tote one lens around most of the time it's usually the 17-85 or 24-105. Good wide-angle and long enough reach for most non-telephoto purposes. Use the savings for other essentials first, extra battery, CF cards, bag, tripod, flash. Get use to the camera, its workings, and once you see a need for more lenses, get them.
And Dan, the 6.5fps on the 40D is plenty fast. Dunno what a 1.5fps increase will do, but at anything over 1/400 it's freaky fast. I have photos of flying hummingbirds to prove it.

I never said the 17-85 was crappy, I just feel that if you have the budget to jump into a 40D for your first camera, then money isn't too tight for you to get just 1 L series lens. Most people make the mistake of the 70-300 or the Tamron or Sigma 18-200s or the Canon 55-200 lenses so I just saved time by saying L guaranteeing that he would get something nice.

hehe, nah i was just kidding bout the D3000, its a good minimum $500 on top of the quote i have for a 40D with EF 28-135 IS lens [$1500]....and the fps is really like you said, unnecessary, 6.5 is more than enough for me....

and to clear it up, since everyone is talking about whether i have the $ to buy a proper lens, well basically, im splitting the costs with my dad, so its okay, and we want to buy 'once', and buy the 'best', if u know what we mean...

We dont want to buy something that will either compromise the photo in any way, or the camera's abilities, nor do we want to get something 'cheap' and later realizing we need to upgrade, and spend money. Therefore, we like to buy once, and buy the best.....

This is a camera i want to buy, learn with, take good photos with, grow with, and who knows what happens down the road in terms of upgrading cameras, i think a 40D will be quite sufficient for my photography needs and wants, and will keep me happy for a very long time...

that lens that was mentioned, the EF 24-70 f2.8 L, that thing would be awesome.... especially for indoor sport photography+continuous shotting.
I'm gonna have to check the camera shop again, and see if they have one of these, so i can check it out....but even if they don't have it, i know its an awesome lens non the less.....

edit* does the EF 24-70 f2.8 L have IS?

Everyone is holdong their breathe for a 24-70 f/2.8 L IS version. Dunno if they are going to make one though. The L lenses are a class by themselves, I usually do not reccommend them to beginners mainly due to budget restrictions. They are top of the line lenses, so there is no further upgrading from there. The glass will last you forever, even when you upgrade bodies. Keep in mind EF-S lenses only work on the crop sensor bodies. There is a EF-S 17-55 f/28 IS. Image quality is suppose to be supberb, but its not built like an L.

muay thai dan yes! a fellow muay thai dude!!!!

i spent 3 months training muay thai in thailand and will going back in jan for 6 more months.

wheres ur gym at?

and and buying once and buying the best means to me buying the d300 :) hehe, quiet canon nerds. jk.

and and buying once and buying the best means to me buying the d300 :) hehe, quiet canon nerds. jk.

hahaha, yeah i guess thats kinda true, but that might be going a little too much over the top......and i not completely made of money, since it is a bit more expensive.....and i like the 40d a lot...but im going to wait till i can see the d300....

and ill PM u right now bout the thai boxing stuff, hehe, ur the only other person on any form that im on that has done/does thai boxing as well....:wink::thumbup:

...i just checked out that 24-70 f2.8 L on the internet, and since it hasnt got the IS, what will that affect really? is that just when im taking a photo and say im moving while snapping the pics, and the photo turns out blurry?

Wrong. That would be the Canon 1DS Mark III. Touch that Nikonian!!! Again, realy can't compare them since they are all different classes of cameras.

Most reactions

Back