45mm or 50mm

I just wanted nice manual camera to shoot BW film with. Film shooting with an EOS and AF lenses would just suck. It has to be manual.

I usally use a Nikon FM and a 45GN or 50 f/1.8 for B&W. The FM/50 combo is very reasonable.

e_ said:
Hello notelliot

jstuedle gives a good, brief overview

* Compactness: the first impression one gets on handling is just how small it is

* Practicality: "Popphoto" Lab Test states ... the SQF readings were excellent overall, among the best we've recorded for a lens of this type. There was slight pincushion distortion, measured at 0.55 percent. At the closest focusing distance of 17 ¼ inches (1:7.4 magnification) center sharpness was excellent at all apertures. Corner sharpness was very good at f/2.8, excellent from f/4 to f/16, and good at f/22. Optimum performance was at f/11.

*Price: The 45mm 2.8 P is somewhat a boutique lens, expensive and not very fast

The Doc asks if there's anything special about this lens optically:

After purchasing the matt black model in 2003 for my backup camera, Nikon's FM3A, i sold my fast Nikon 50mm lenses ... in my view their results could not compare

No regrets, albiet the loss of speed

Have fun!

:)

e_
the speed factor isn't a big issue. i do a lot of night photography and other low-light stuff.

i could definatly afford a 50mm for at around 120 (which is what they seem to be, around here). the 45 i'd have to starve for -- almost worth it: sounds like what i'm looking for :er:

thanks for your input, everyone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back