50d vs the 1d mkIII

BLD_007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking about buying a used 1d mk3 of ebay. I would really like a mk4 but that is 5gs. Comparing the two, should I wait for the mk4? Will I see huge improvement between the two? I want two bodies for sport shoots but can't decide if I should take the plunge or just wait.

really broad questions you are asking.... w

The short answer... I'd take the 1 series over any of the rest of the lower consumer line anyday. I shoot with a 1dmarkII and I can easily afforded the latest new consumer level Canon years ago... For me it isn't worth it until I can get myself into another 1-series. Of course my priorities are different than many others. I am happy with mine until that time arrives.

With that said, 80% of my camera stuff is used. I'm currently in the market for a 1dsMarkII.

btw.. don't kid yourself. Going from a 50D to a 1dmarkIII or whatever professional 1 series isn't going to make you a better photographer. (Just a little thought that came to mind after recalling several of your recent threads)

Have owned both the 1D3 and 1D4 I can honestly say that for most uses the 1D4 has very little over the 1D3. If you're a sports shooter making your living shooting professional sports events, then the 1D4 might make sense. But in terms of image quality, build quality, general AF performance, etc. the 1D3 is more than enough camera for most shooters, myself included.

The 1D3 compared to the 50D, there's no comparison. I owned a 50D and 1D3 at the same time, they're worlds apart... but that doesn't mean the 50D isn't a great body because it is. But if you're into shooting action the 1D3's AF system is light years ahead of the 50D's AF system.

Save some more money and get the more reliable 1Dmk2

Why? Mk3 has a higher MP and 10frams a second. + its a newer model and the 4th is already out.

I do believe my 50d will outshine a mk2

I think you would be better off putting that money toward a lens such as the 300/400 2.8. You mention that you are interested in sports, but your lens list stops at the 70-200.

just a few days ago, you asked if a 50mm f/1.8 would give you great DOF, what makes a lens 'fast', why hasselblads are expensive..

..i'm all for buying gear, but I think you're buying gear for the sake of buying gear, which isn't good. I looked though your flickr page and a 1D isn't going to do anything for your photography, it will just empty out your wallet and you'll keep shooting exactly what you have been, the same way, unless you start looking past the gear. You're just not there yet.

Check this out:

Cycle by the window on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
7 snake on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Museo del Vaticano | Roma on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Erasmusbrug on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Golden Gate & Full Moon, Panorama on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Angaga Island Resort & Spa, Maldives on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

These are all great pictures, and guess what they were all shot with?

Nikon D40's, mostly with their kit lenses. They used to sell for $450 new.

Long story short, equipment doesn't make good photographers.

If you want to drop a couple thousand on a 1DIII, go for it. but you should probably invest that money in a workshop, or a photography class if you want to really get better as opposed to staying where you're at, but with expensive gear, which is where we see alot of shooters go.

Yep, shoot with what you have until you find that it is limiting you.......not the other way way around.

Yep, shoot with what you have until you find that it is limiting you.......not the other way way around.

I know my limitations right now. I want a 2nd body so I can have two bodys on me. I don't want to have to switch between lens. I'm going to NAIA tournament with my universities team next week. I don't want to have to switch between my two lens to cover the full court. Having two bodies will fix that.

Side note: I'm getting a press pass and I will be on the base line, court end. Went last year and it was awesome, our team was last and the first game we played we knocked out the #1 seated team. NAIA is like NCAA but for smaller colleges. Its just awesome having a press pass lol

Also, for baseball it would be great. Have my 50d at home to catch the scoring runs and having the mk3 on my person covering 3rd. or I could have the 50d in a box "thinking about building a protective box" and have it near third against the wall to catch the runner sliding into 3rd.

I think you're buying gear for the sake of buying gear, which isn't good.

That's the same vibe I got too ... especially considering the recent threads started by the OP.

but I do need a 2nd body for some of the stuff I do. If I'm going to buy a 2nd body I'm going to buy bigger and move my 50d to backup

If you say you are "going to buy bigger" then by all means get whatever fits that bill, but if you want to get the most improvement over your current situation a second 50D or even a 7D will still give you all the camera you need and leave you enough money for some more glass.

Most reactions

Back