70-300 VR Upgrade

Not sure why you don't already have a 70-200. Your should be making some money with your photography and this would fill out what you have in your bag over any other lens.

I can't make money when everyone wants my work for free. So I give up on it, I just shoot for fun now mainly.

I honestly don't see myself using a 70-200 all that much anyways.

I really, really want to go back to shooting primes.

My 70-300 vr, fully extended (purple truckers hat for scale) AND
150-600 vr, fully extended (gray truckers hat for scale).

The hood on the sigma 150-600 is RETRACTED, so it is actually longer. It is a heavy beast. I am not a weight lifter but I'm an able bodied male and it gets tiring to hold by hand in short order.

Renting the sigma was a great idea. After living with it for a week, it is not on my 'wish list' anymore, even tho it does things my 70-300 could never do.

PS- yes, I have several trucker hats. It's a problem....

IMG_3995.jpg
IMG_3977.jpg

Last edited:
Can you put a teleconverter on the 70-300?

Can you put a teleconverter on the 70-300?
Not a nikon one, from what I've read.

If a third party one works, you'll take a slow lens and make it slower.

You cannot use a TC on the 70-300. I think some people have, but Nikon says no in the brochure that comes with the lens.

You had the 85mm and 105mm primes if I remember. If you want long prime then the 300mm f/4 is a very nice lens and you can use a TC with it. I had used one of the older versions for some landscape and it is excellent for those applications. For most other applications I prefer a zoom that covers that focal length.

You can always set your zoom lens to the focal length you want and leave it there and pretend it is a prime lens.

You cannot use a TC on the 70-300. I think some people have, but Nikon says no in the brochure that comes with the lens.

You had the 85mm and 105mm primes if I remember. If you want long prime then the 300mm f/4 is a very nice lens and you can use a TC with it. I had used one of the older versions for some landscape and it is excellent for those applications. For most other applications I prefer a zoom that covers that focal length.

You can always set your zoom lens to the focal length you want and leave it there and pretend it is a prime lens.

I don't mind telephoto zooms, but for normal shooting I like primes.

The 300 f/4D + teleconverter would make it around 450mm? Sounds like a good option honestly. But if I was going to shoot a lot of wildlife, I'd just invest in the 200-500 5.6. What little I do, the 70-300 VR works fine for now considering I only paid $250 NEW for it. Lol

I'm pissed I sold the 105 macro, WORST decision I ever made. But it is what it is. I'll probably just end up getting the Tokina 100 2.8, I hear nothing but good things about it and it fits within my budget.

Look for used or refurbed. When I was shooting dSLR's I had a Sigma 50-500. It was a great lens, especially for sports. Adorama has a used one for $499 ... but it is for Canon. There must be some equally good deals on Nikon mounts not only for the 50-500 but other long lenses that you're looking for.

Sigma 50-500 w/ Canon 20D

_MG_0546-153.jpg

@ 500mm

GRA-SMCHS-Canyon%20Relays-128.jpg

@500mm

_MG_0309-114.jpg

@500mm

GRA-SMCHS-Canyon%20Relays-52.jpg

@50mm

Most reactions

Back