7D body, 1st lens recomendation please!!

I have been using my Tamron 17-50 now for a few years (used it with my 30D and now with my 7D). I'll echo the others -- it is an outstanding piece of glass for the money. I've seen them used in the $350 range.

If you do really want to buy a 7D I highly recommend you get good glass for it.

This is because the sensor is capable of more resolution than most of Canons low end lenses.

If you want to get low end lenses get a 50D or a 500D.

Also I agree with what others have said that you should focus on better glass before a better body.

I can almost guarantee you that images from a 50D with L glass will look better than those from a 7D with non-L glass.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
I would also recommend the EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS if you were to get a 7D. This is because it is actually quite sharp even on the 7D, and relatively well corrected for a non L-lens. It is mostly up to L quality in the optics department, but not even close in build quality. It is far from cheap at about $1,000 though.

I am personally waiting for an update to the 24-70 2.8L before I buy another lens in this range. I want a 2.8 L zoom with IS, and something around 30-70mm. I would think that Canon will either update the 24-70 with IS, or make another one with similar focal range and IS. As it is currently Canon has nothing that fits my requirements for this type of lens, so I will be waiting for now. I am guessing they are working on this since I am almost surely not the only one wanting IS on a 2.8 L zoom.

Last edited:
The OP has already purchased the T2i. However, the same issue is true. The high resolution of the T2i's sensor is more capable of revealing the flaws in inferior lenses than older lower-resolution cameras were.

Honestly, you are green..new to photography. The worse thing you can do is spend money on something now and in 3-4 months, realise that you should of purchased something better / different. You lose money that way.

You dont know what you like to shoot, how you like to shoot. So while this lens is better than that lens discussions can go on forever, I'd highly suggest picking up the 50 1.8 and going on with that.

You can do some amazing work with just that lens. Give yourself some time with that lens and save up money as you learn. Then, when you are more comfortable in knowing what YOU need and what YOU like, put the cash down on some quality glass.

People are all about the technology. But really, its about the photographer and the knowledge. The technology is a tool and too often, its a crutch

Most reactions

New Topics

Back