98% eclipse effect (still really bright!)

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As the title says, we were excited to know we'd be witnessing 98% of totality in today's eclipse. Turns out, that's still pretty bright. No wonder folks go tearing off to see 100% totality- sure looks good on TV. :lol:

The light did turn strange, definitely much dimmer - a strange, underwater kind of feel. The crickets were noticing - they started chirping loudly, as if it were 8 pm. The birds were also quiet. But there was still sunlight overhead and shadows on the ground.

Here are my attempts to capture this glorious event. Just a cell phone.

Ye olde paper plate pinhole trick, about 15 minutes until our 98% total impact:

Paper plate eclipse.jpg

And the really cool one - note the shape of the dappled sunlight that's coming in through the trees - and how unimpressed Bex is with it all:

Bex in the eclipse.jpg

Shortly after this one was taken, it started to get brighter. :)

Didn't see the dappled light, but I heard my neighbors roosters start crowing as it started getting lighter.

I would also agree very odd looking, it is still mind blowing how much 2% day light is...here is a shot from my smart phone through glasses. I think the shadows were pretty cool.

20170821_150135-01.jpeg

20170821_145313_smaller.jpg

For us, without glasses and being outside the totality center, looking downward was more rewarding. Oh, and hearing the crickets going nuts.

Today was special. :586:

For us, without glasses and being outside the totality center, looking downward was more rewarding. Oh, and hearing the crickets going nuts.

Today was special. :586:

Yep, there was some pretty odd stuff going on down on the ground. We noticed some kind of pulsating banding thing happening.

Joe

Didn't see the dappled light, but I heard my neighbors roosters start crowing as it started getting lighter.

Yeah, the dappled light through trees--saw a couple peoppe did on Facebook. I TOO heard a rooster crowing after it started to get lighter. I was in an area where the neighbors have, well, at least one rooster!

The eclipse was VERY dark (absolute totality!) some 40-50 miles south of where I was at today at 10:19-10:21 AM, but it was, nevertheless, cool!

Most reactions

Back