A Bench on Every Side - C&C

SlimPaul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out for a walk yesterday and took a couple of shots. I liked this one but I know it's not perfect. There wasn't too much planning. How can I improve that capture?

Thanks, Paul

3231916050_2970652d94.jpg

Here's the exif data:

Exposure: 1/3
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Last edited:
The main problem with this photo is that it lacks a strong subject. Maybe if it were composed differently or if you cropped it, you might be able to make the bench the subject but it's not clear with this photo. Also, it is horrendously tilted....

How can I improve that capture?

Here's the exif data:

Exposure: 1/3
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Did you have a tripod with you?

I would have set up a tripod and used a aperture of f/11 or higher (to get that star flare from the lights), go slower on the shutter speed and used the lowest ISO the camera is capable of...try to keep the camera level (or correct the tilt in PP).

Thanks. I did have my tripod, but I set the aperture to f/1.8. I wanted that bench to stand out :neutral: I'll try to retake that shot.

Edit: Mistake. I had my aperture set to 3.5 and I used my kit 18-105mm lens.

Last edited:
Thanks. I did have my tripod, but I set the aperture to f/1.8. I wanted that bench to stand out :neutral: I'll try to retake that shot.
If you wanted a shallow depth of field there are a few other things to consider besides the aperture size used. You want to use a long focal length (wide angle lenses will increase the DOF, longer focal length lenses will decrease the DOF), you want to get close to your subject and you don't want the subject to be close to the background. Of course you also want to use a large aperture size.

Back to Basics - Depth Of Field

How to use Shallow Depth of Field

TUTORIALS: DEPTH OF FIELD

Depth of Field

Depth of Field: One of the most important elements in photography

Depth Of Field: The area or 'zone' of a photograph,from front to back,which is in focus

Most reactions

New Topics

Back