A couple of general questions

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1. Do you leave your lens hood on all the time? I've had my 24-105 f/4L for about 3 years and have never taken the hood out of the box. I just thought it was for helping with sun flare and I just use my hand if needed. I never really thought of it as protection for the lens (I thought that was why I bought a UV filter).

2. I've read/heard that you are supposed to always turn your camera's power off before changing lenses. I've been good about it, but have always worried that someday I will forget. What happens if you leave the power on and remove a lens?

Thanks so much!

I always use the lens hoods...mainly for protection & keeping sunlight out. I prefer not to use UV filters for protection.

I try to remember to turn the camera off as well...but it's not a big deal if you don't. The issue that I read about, was that if the sensor is 'energized' it may attract dust...so by turning the camera off, you can discharge the sensor, so it's not a dust magnet. I haven't seen any hard evidence to prove this though.

I rarely use my hood -- it gets in the way and doesn't really eliminate much glare. If I am in a bad glare situation, I use my hand -- usually I have to put it MUCH farther past the end of the lens than the hood would have covered.

I also always try to turn off the camera -- for exactly the reason Big Mike stated. But it doesn't always happen. I wouldn't worry too much.

Edit: for protection, I use a UV filter (or some other filter) at all times, and my lens cap. The hood really doesn't do much to protect from tree or bush branches.

Last edited:
I think that the use of a hood is easier with some types of photography than others.......... Most everything I shoot is outdoors and in varying light conditions, so a hood has advantages and a protective filter is a must.

On most of my lenses, I use the hood most of the time.. Since they are reversible, it is a habit to just reverse it when packing it away.

Ultra wides, such as the 17-40, the hood is a pain as it is so wide and short, it doesn't see much time on the lens and doesn't lend itself to a back-pack.

When I put on a Polarizer, the hood usually stays in the bag.........it's just too much trouble to stick a finger in and rotate it for best affect...

So, a hood is just like any other tool in the bag.......use it when appropriate, and don't when it is not..

2. I always turn the power off when not using the camera, and when changing lenses. You are connecting and disconnecting electrical contacts at the mount; since the camera and lens are "communicating" with each other, it just makes good sense to not have any power there when breaking the connection. ........ well, sometimes I forget..

I found this post last night about protection, first paragraph.

As pointed out in the link up above, cheap filters will not be good for the image quality of your picture. If you are slapping an $8 filter on a $1000 lens, you are seriously hindering the abilities of the lens.

The cheapest UV filter I ever bought was about $70.

I have always had a filter on and I use the hood whenever I take the lens out, unless doing things requiring additional filters over the UV filter.

I would think that being indoors, you would not need the UV filter, as I'm thinking mine is protecting the lens from dust, sand and other things flying around.

The hood is good for general lens protection and blocking extra light. Accidents can happen anywhere, indoors or outdoors, so I try and put the hood on whenever I take the camera out

I'm with LAShooters, we actually tested cheap name brand UV filters against against expensive name brand UV filters against no filters and found that there wasn't any significant difference in IQ between a cheap filter, expensive filter and no filter.

And the obvious ... more lens flare w/ a UV filter than without, more expensive the filter (more and better coatings) the less flare.

As a former news photog equipment protection is important and filters and lens hoods never come off except under isolated/certain circumstances.

Using one's hand as a lens hood, while convenient and better than no shade at all, is hard to do for action stuff, long lenses and leaves the camera much less stable than two hands on the camera.

Gary

Last edited:
I typically view my UV filter as a line of protection for my lens so that i don't scratch the lens glass itself. I'd rather scratch a $70 filter than my lens glass.
That said, I was shooting pictures on a boat and a wave splashed up. My filter was on and took the salt water. The lens hood was on, but facing backwards where I always keep it. Fortunately the lens hood being backwards took the salt water and the lens stayed completely dry. lucky day to have both!

My 2 lenses came with UV filters on them, and didnt notice them untill the one got sratched, and I tried to clean it, and noticed the filter.
I immediatly removed them both and have never put them back on again.
Why? I dont like UV filters, and if something was powerfull enough to break the fron element of a my lens, im sure it would be able to break through a little filter also, caosting me the price of a new filter and lens.

I do not have lens hoods, I havent had the money to purchase them. But I feel safe enough holding my camera and having it around my neck. I dont think Id drop it. And if I did...a UV filter wouldnt have helped me anyway, and in the above post, it could scratch the fron element of my lens.

My 2 lenses came with UV filters on them, and didnt notice them untill the one got sratched, and I tried to clean it, and noticed the filter.
I immediatly removed them both and have never put them back on again.
Why? I dont like UV filters, and if something was powerfull enough to break the fron element of a my lens, im sure it would be able to break through a little filter also, caosting me the price of a new filter and lens.

I do not have lens hoods, I havent had the money to purchase them. But I feel safe enough holding my camera and having it around my neck. I dont think Id drop it. And if I did...a UV filter wouldnt have helped me anyway, and in the above post, it could scratch the fron element of my lens.

This is a curious post -- I assume you bought your lenses used? My (new) lenses have always come with a hood (sometimes built in, sometimes detachable), but of course never a UV filter. I use filters so much that I'd notice that right away!

Also, there are a very large number of stories and photos of accidents which broke UV filters, but didn't damage the lens's front element -- even some on here. It seems more common than you think.

Wow, thanks so much for all of your input. I have never thought about the lens hood protecting the lens if it was dropped. I guess if it fell straight down onto the hood, you'd be pretty glad you used it that day. I DO have an expensive UV filter on my L lens for the reason one of the above people mentioned..why buy good glass and then put a cheap filter over it? Thanks again!

This is a curious post -- I assume you bought your lenses used? My (new) lenses have always come with a hood (sometimes built in, sometimes detachable), but of course never a UV filter. I use filters so much that I'd notice that right away!

Also, there are a very large number of stories and photos of accidents which broke UV filters, but didn't damage the lens's front element -- even some on here. It seems more common than you think.

Yes, all my equipment (that was mentioned) was bought used, and given to me for my 10th birthday. When I was around 12 I noticed the filters.

I guess my problem is protecting a 30 dollar lens with a filter costing more would just be stupid, and getting a filter to downgrade the already not amazing quality would just be stupid.

The reason I dont have lens hoods is because my 80-200 has a built in lens hood, (but if my lens were to drop it would just retract and do nothing.)
My 35-105 is used so little, im not worried about it too much.

Manual focus (especialy used) lenses are as cheap, and It wouldnt be a big hassle to replace one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back