A couple random equip questions

pantherlax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a senior in High School, so I dont have much money to spend. But with the money I have saved and with the money i plan to earn and with some help from my parents for Christmas/birthday, i plan to get some new gear. And I use a Nikon d50 btw.

I like sports, anything from wrestling to basketball to football. My 18-70 is no use at all for sports. I have heard good things about the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. But I read that even with a 200 your still going to want a little more with open field sports like football. The Sigma is very expensive for me as it is so i cant go longer. And I recently read about teleconverters?

1) How does it magically make things 1.4 times or 2x longer? I read that with 1.4 its generally one f-stop slower and with 2x its two stops? True? Are there any other cons such as with the image?

2) I also need a tripod. I'm guessing the 70-200 plus a teleconverter will get a little heavy and also want to get into night photography. Can someone direct toward a cheap, good-for-its-money tripod that will last me awhile?

3) And one more. Filters? I dont exactly understand what they are, and as a 17 year old who plans for photography to be only a hobby should i bother getting a filter? All i know is is that they bring out colors, so again please direct me toward one.

Thank you

you're going to lug around a camera, telephoto lens , and tripod as a student at a high school football game?

look into the nikon 70-300mm lens. i think it's in the upper $300's if you know where to look.

invest in a nice flash system if you're planning on getting close enough to the sidelines.

I use a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 with a 1.4x TC for HS football. Without the TC it' a little short. The dilemma is that at times, such as end zone shots, it could be a bit too long. Instead of taking it off, I just stand farther back.
This lens weighs 3 lbs (without the TC) I have a good comfortable strap and hand hold it for daytime games. I may use a monopod for night games. You will find a tripod to awkward to carry around a football field
as you will be moving around quite a bit. It will also prevent you from getting down low for some shots. Remember that the plays happen quickly and there is not time to fiddle with the camera or swapping lenses. I also leave the camera bag at home and only take what I need. I have a belt with pouches to carry misc. things without getting in my way, this includes a pouch to put the TC in when it gets too dark for f/4 and I need to remove it to obtain f/2.8 Once again I sacrifice distance but I don't have over $3K for a 300mm f/2.8 lens

I see, thanks to both, very helpful.

Can some one give me a link to a good cheap monopod and a tripod? I searched online but it gives me alot of confusing answers and I have no clue what I am supposed to go for.

Most reactions

Back