A few from Finland (first post here)

Nelarius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

I've been seeing a lot of great photographs on these forums, and it has really inspired me to learn photography and post some of my own shots. I'm new to photography, so I need all the c&c I can get. :p

full

full

full

full

Leppävaara
full

Kilo railway station
full

Pendolino to Turku
full

A local train (and right on time for once :hail:)
full

full

Comments?

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I like how the train in the last one shows motion. It's hard to tell in which direction it's going but by the way you caught it, the train should be heading toward the sunset. Colors and sky are great.

Local Train and Pendolino to Turku are a little blury other than that they show that the trains are moving into the photo.

Kilo railway station very sharp and good colors I like all the signs and how your eyes are drawn right down the tracks.

Keep taking photos and posting. Remember practice, practice, practice.

I just got finished watching a special on the Community Center designd by Alvaro Aalto in Saynatsalo Finland, is that anywhere near you?

I dont care for busy photos most of the time but "Kilo railway station" was perfect the colors and sharpness of that image seems magazine quality.

I like how the train in the last one shows motion. It's hard to tell in which direction it's going but by the way you caught it, the train should be heading toward the sunset. Colors and sky are great.
Yes, the train was moving towards the sunset.

I just got finished watching a special on the Community Center designd by Alvaro Aalto in Saynatsalo Finland, is that anywhere near you?

Nope, Säynätsalo is in central Finland, I'm in the south.

Thanks for the comments! :D

C&C per req:

1. Shooting with the sun low in the sky is often good, however here I think you may have been just a little too early/late. Your foreground is somewhat dark, and there are distinct shadows in some areas. I like the composition however; good use of the path to take the eye right into the middle of the image. I would suggest lighting the foreground just a little.

2. I'm afraid this doesn't do much for me; it appears to be no more than a field with powerlines and trees. Technically it's fine however.

3. Nice, but I think some fill light lower left would have helped. The bicycle should have just a little more detail.

4. Nice, but a bit too rich in mid-tones (grey) and lacking in black and white. I would try straightening this image (the railroad tracks are on a nasty downgrade) boosting the contrast a little.

5. Good composition with the tracks taking the eye right through the image, but a little underexposed in the foreground and image left. I would try a levels/curves adjustment to lighten this area up say 1/2 stop.

6. I really like this one; busy yes, but it works very well. The image however looks just a bit over-processed to me.

7, 8. Nice, but either a higher shutter speed to freeze motion altogether, or a slower one with a pan. See comments for #4 on B&W conversion.

9. Excellent! Really nicely captured. I'm not sure if this would work better without the grafitti covered sign or not, but it's a great image either way.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:
6. I really like this one; busy yes, but it works very well. The image however looks just a bit over-processed to me.
~John

I actually also had that feeling, and I think it is due to too much sharpening (I used heavy sharpen). I redid the image and used a little less sharpening and local contrast enhancement.

full

Anyway, thanks for your input John!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back