Reaction score
Website
galerii.nicpb.ee
Thought on sharing a few views of the insect world:

#1 - Old guy
pilt35.jpg

#2 - The coming of night
pilt42.jpg

#3 - Spider changing skin (I actually didn't know they did that until I took this shot with the wrong lens :)
pilt50.jpg

#4 - What a face (it's a butterfly at 5x magnification)
pilt59.jpg

#5 - Another face :) also 5x magnification
d73d7cbac6508cb.jpg

Your comments welcome :)

Wow!! What lens was those taken with? they're amazing your shots rock!!!

Ooh thats the macro lens I've been looking at, its nice to see what it can do :D of course with your skill added too. I definitely think that lens is going to be top of my wish list now. Amazing pics I love them :)

abstract: Well if you consider getting that lens, then you also need to get some sort of macro flash as it's impossible to take any pictures with this lens and natural lighting. Maybe at 1x magnification, but that's not why you buy it :) I recommend the Macro Twin flash MT-24 as it enables you to set two light sources at different angles and different strength which gives you better control over lighting.

What's also cool about these flashes is that as these will be you primary light source, then it doesn't matter what weather it's outside, you can take shots anyway. For example the first pic in this series is done about 1h after sundown :) So it was absolute darkness and I only focused using the flashes guidance lights.

Wow. These are so cool.
Now with all this brilliant equipment - how do you tell the flies and butterflies and spiders to SIT STILL and POSE for you!?!?!?!?!
I have tried to photograph butterflies out in the open, in nature, and before I was even anywhere NEARER they were gone again... My photos have all turned out bloopers!

Well as I mentioned you can take the shots after sundown or in early morning hours when they don't fly anywhere anymore/yet because it's too cold and they don't have the energy. Although it's true that it takes a lot of time to get a picture at 5x magnification as the focusing distance is just a few cm from the lens and the DOF at f/16 is about 1mm so any slight movement (breathing/wind, camera shake) will take the subject away from your field of view :D

So as a single picture is better than 1000 words. This is me taking shot nr 3:
pilt_977.jpg

The spider is just a few cm away from the lens on that plant :D

wow, what a set-up you have! love the shots. thanks for sharing!

:D Well just to be on the right side: the lens + flash is from a friend with whom we sometimes shoot macros and change lenses :D I personally haven't bought one yet :)

toruonu said:
:D Well just to be on the right side: the lens + flash is from a friend with whom we sometimes shoot macros and change lenses :D I personally haven't bought one yet :)

having access is all that counts ;)

Well, having access does count (as compared to OWNING, or HAVING BOUGHT for oneself) and being able to work with the equipment as well as you are able to work with your friend's, as these wonderful macros are showing us! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the insight into your work! The pictures are outstanding! Just by looking at them gives me motivation to keep learning more about photography ;).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back