A few more questions about software

RumDaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Still trying to make my mind on what software to get? Cost is a major factor as well. Ive learned that the filters are one of the most popular features.

1. Whats your favorite software to use?

2. What do you like most about it?

3. Whats your favorite filter on it?

4. How many filters does it offer?

My bad... Photo editing software. Lightroom-elements-ect...

Sorry I wasnt more specific. Ive seen a lot of average looking photos that were stock from the camera. Just a decent photo and then I believe they use filters, not the kind that go on the lens but rather some sort of lightroom filters provided by software that basically turned a decent average looking photo into something far more impressive.

So what ever software I end up purchasing I do believe Id like a lot of filters or perhaps I shouldnt be looking for a amount of filters but rather a a certain type of filter may be far more valuable then 10 useless ones. So I was hoping to get the inside scoop from photographers who are familiar with the different types of software and their filters.

Now I know some of you know exactly what Im talking about. If someone would like to show our newbie learners a example of how you can take a average photo and filter the hell out of it to make it a above average photo Id appreciate it very much.

Photoshop (elements or full version) are 'image editing' programs. Lightroom is a 'workflow' program. The two are not necessarily interchangeable, although there is a significant amount of overlap in what they can do.
The best option, IMO, is to combine Lightroom with Photoshop (or elements etc.)

"filters" are pre-made effects that can be applied to images in Photoshop. Some of them replicate actual photographic filters...but many of them, are just the 'standard' effects that are built into Photoshop. I think they are lumped into the title of 'filters' because they don't have a better place for them.

When you see improved looking photos, it's may not be a 'filter' effect. There are many, many other ways to improve/edit/adjust images without filters.

You may also be thinking of 'actions' or 'presets'. In Photoshop, you can record a series of commands and then save it as an action...so you don't have to repeat steps over and over again. These can be exported and shared, so many of the common 'looks' you see on edited images, may have been made with the same 'action'.
In Lightroom, there are 'presets'. Basically the same thing...certain looks can be created, then saved and shared.

Some people are crazy for downloading actions & presets. And yes, they can be great time savers...but there isn't anything that they do, that you can't do yourself, if you understand the processes involved.

The programs I live by:

Lighroom for initial fixes.
Photoshop CS 4 for everything else

Another Lightroom and CS4 Extended (CS5 Extended pre-ordered) user.

I also have Photoshop plug-ins from Topaz Labs, and Imagenomic.

I'd recommend starting with Elements and one of Scott Kelby's Photoshop Elements books, if you have a limited software budget.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Elements-Digital-Photographers-Voices/dp/0321660331/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272482030&sr=8-11"]Amazon.com: The Photoshop Elements 8 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (9780321660336): Scott Kelby, Matt Kloskowski: Books[/ame]

If you then later decide to upgrade they usually will deduct $100 from the price of PS/CS5.

Once you have the regular PS/CS5, further regular upgrades are usually only $199.

Most reactions

Back