A few questions

damo2576

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I wondered if I could ask a few things to help me with some personal research, any answers really would be greatly appreciated.

1. Do you have an online portfolio?
2. If so how much do you pay for it?
3. If not why not?
4. Would you consider getting an online portfolio and indeed whole website if the cost was right and you could maintain it yourself?
5. If yes, what would you consider to be the right cost?

Many thanks, I really appreciate your time in answering any or all of my questions.

Thank you.

Damo

damo2576 said:
Yes, Several.

damo2576 said:
Falls under bundled hosting, which is about 35 bucks US for the dozen odd sites I run on it.

damo2576 said:
3. If not why not?
I don't have to answer this one now! Yippee!

damo2576 said:
4. Would you consider getting an online portfolio and indeed whole website if the cost was right and you could maintain it yourself?
But I've already got one ...

damo2576 said:
... So this question is a bit silly too.

1. Yes
2. Nothing
3. n/a
4. Sure
5. Not much, less than $20/month. There are so many free photo hosting sites...it had better be good for people to pay for it.

1. Yes
2. No. I got the space for free because I was designing websites for the hosting company. I basically refer anyone looking for hosting to them in exchange for the bandwidth I use... which is very little http://thinkhost.com shameless plug.
3. N/A
4. Yes. I think that anyone that needs to share information on the internet should buy some webspace and forget about the free sites.
5. I think the perfect cost would be a small yearly fee. A step up from the free sites and less than a full blown web host.

1. Yup

2. I host my own website so I don't pay anything other than my monthly Internet bill. The only down side of hosting myself is that my cable ISP prohibits me from hosting a web server on traditional ports so I had to start using port 88.

3. I got tired of dealing with hosting companies. I found it hard to find a company that would allow me to do what I wanted. A lot of places wouldn't allow me to hot link to other sites, some places wouldn't allow flash files, some places wouldn't allow ASP, some places would place they're own banner adds...there was always something. I decided to do it myself.

4. After doing it myself I doubt I'd go to someone else for hosting.

5. It would have to be dirt cheap if I was to switch.

Wow! All these replies already, its so nice to find an active forum with so many people with constructive things to say.

The reason I ask is that, like you all, I am a keen photographer but with a vested interest in technology.

I am thinking about starting a business which would essentially be a website that dynamically creates portfolio type websites for subscribers. A CMS for the techies among you.

It would enable photographers with no tech knowledge to create and adminster their own professional looking site from an PC with internet access.

I know a few of these sites exist already such as http://www.foliolink.com/ but i've not come across any that do it well and well stylistically and interms of design.

You seem like a knowlegable bunch, do you know of any other sites that offer such a service? Can you offer any other constructive critism/advice?

Many thanks

Yes

I believe 12 now but that is the hosting cost. Run a few sites on one package

3. If not why not?
Dont you listen! I do I do :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back