A lot of beginner questions

vieya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not sure if this question My minolta rokkor? Camera has ASA settings ranging from 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, some dots in between each number, now what setting should I put it on? I don't know if it has any relation to the film that I use but if it does my film is the tri-x 400 film 400TX black and white.
what is f=38mm?
and 1:2.8 means what? BTW the ASA, F=38mm, and 1:2.8 are all around the lens

I also have a olympia camera that I found(still testing if it works at all not sure yet will have to develop the film to see
it has similiar thing like f=1:4.5 and 50mm
motor drive? and aspherical lens 16,15, 8, 6.34.5 what do these things mean I'm puzzled. Sorry for all the questions! Any help would be appreciated!

what are you taking pictures of?

I actually think I completely misunderstood what you were asking.

What is your question what ASA setting to use?

f on my camera refers to the speed as well as focal length of the lens. effective focal length. contributes to depth of field etc.

50mm f/1:4.5 is what the lens says?

I'm taking pictures of fruits and or flowers now is the F supposed to be the amount of distance it appears from the subject?

the f number is the focal length divided by apeture diameter. it also is your speed.

The distance it appears has a lot to do with depth of field.

I think i am explaining what I'm trying to explain incorrectly. I know what I mean!...lol

I'm not sure if this question My minolta rokkor? Camera has ASA settings ranging from 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, some dots in between each number, now what setting should I put it on? I don't know if it has any relation to the film that I use but if it does my film is the tri-x 400 film 400TX black and white.
what is f=38mm?

I also have a olympia camera that I found(still testing if it works at all not sure yet will have to develop the film to see
motor drive? and aspherical lens 16,15, 8, 6.34.5 what do these things mean I'm puzzled. Sorry for all the questions! Any help would be appreciated!

Don't worry about asking questions here. I do it all the time.;) I'm a beginner too. I get a little sideways with all the numbers and meanings since some manufactures say the same thing, just a little different.

It sounds as though you have a fixed lens compact 35mm camera.

The manufacturer is Minolta who produced lens that were designated Rokkor.

F 35mm will be the focal length of the lens and f 1:2.8 is the maximum aperture.

The dots on the ASA scale are intermediate values at between the marked ones so between 50 and 100 you will have two dots for 64 ASA and 80 ASA etc.

There should also be a distance scale around the edge of the lens, possibly with depth of field markings for different apertures.

@crosby thanks! :D but no I couldn't find it mine is a really old Autofocus 35mm, ya know the old camera's that you would take 4 by 6 pictures with i think:er:. so yeah no the lens isn't there. sadly. thanks anyway.
@lockwood81 so my film speed is 400? since I have the tri-X 400 film 400TX? and I should set the ASA to 400?
@chris yes I believe mine is a fixed lens camera sigh. Not one of the more "professional" cameras hmmm there's no scale however

sigh I've developed some pictures but they turned out not so great. one was blurry sort of. Sigh. I thought it was because of how I developed it but it's probably just my camera. I think I'm the only one using a fixed 35mm heh.

what is f=38mm?

ASA=ISO. The American Standards Association used the same ISO ratings that are now used by the Industrial Standards Organization. There are two dots between each ASA/ISO rating. 25 . . 50 . . 100 . . 200 . . 400. Those dots are for films with ISO ratings of * 32 40 * 64 80 * 125 160 * 250 320 *. Set your ASA dial to correspond with whichever film you are using. ISO400 film, set it to 400. ISO 125 film, set to the first dot above 100.

f:38mm refers to the diameter of the small threads on the inside edge on the very end of the lens. This tells you that you can use 38mm threaded filters on this lens.

1:2.8 means that the largest aperture on your lens is f/2.8.

16, probably 11 not 15, 8, 6.3, 4.5. These are aperture settings for this lens. The smaller the number the larger the aperture and the greater amount of light that comes in to the film. The larger the number the smaller the aperture and the less light that comes in to the film.

I love using older cameras as you can see below. The simpler the better as far as I am concerned. The best thing to do is to learn the basics, the nuts and bolts. How to set the aperture and the shutter speed and what relation these settings have and when to break the rules.

Good luck and do not be afraid to ask questions. That is what we are here for. There are no stupid questions, only stupid people that laugh at them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back