a modest Landscape.

Pleasetakeitkind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken with my 18-55mm kit lens. Really soft, but kinda works with what i am going for. However, sometimes i wish i could afford to take "really good" pictures.

IMG_3465.jpg

taking great pictures has nothing to do with what you can or can't afford

with the right composition and exposure, you can produce some stunning photos with your kit lens.

here is a link to a nice photo with the kit lens
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stansich/138537545/sizes/l/

you are off to a great start, read read read, and keep taking pictures:thumbup:

Nothing wrong with the shot.

I do find the tree to be distracting.

I'd also do a selection of the treeline down and make it a bit brighter. Looks like your camera metered for the sky and not the foreground. Easy to fix in PS, especially if you shoot RAW.

I can see what you were going for with the tree as a framing device, but I'm not sure it works for me either.

i like the image... i often shoot with the kit lens too so dont worry. You exposed for the sky which is ok i sometimes do the same... a quick re-edit and the results can be quite different (even more so with the RAW file).

Editing can take alot of time to learn tho... (although the basics dont take long) but keep at it and you wont have to spend any more on lenses. ;)

IMG_346512.jpg

yes everyone is capable of taking professional looking pictures no matter the kind of camera, whether it be from your editing, composition but more both.

just a tip, it looks like your foreground is farther away than the tree, so i would try and not get that tree uptop there because it then looks out of place.
it might also of been better to take this picture as a landscape instead of portrait then crop it to where it looks right.

i'm very new, just my opinion

Nothing wrong with the shot.

I do find the tree to be distracting.

I'd also do a selection of the treeline down and make it a bit brighter. Looks like your camera metered for the sky and not the foreground. Easy to fix in PS, especially if you shoot RAW.

How exactly would you go about not metering for the sky and still getting nice looking clouds that aren't completely blown out? I'm quite new to having an dSLR (since christmas) and i noticed the metering problem while shooting.

taking great pictures has nothing to do with what you can or can't afford

with the right composition and exposure, you can produce some stunning photos with your kit lens.

I agree and disagree with you at the same time on this. I do think you can take great pictures with the kit lens in the right circumstance. I just feel that in certain applications i can't get the crisp quality that i am searching for with it. I also think the general public often mistakes good equipment for good photography.

With a budget DSLR you can shoot great pictures. The same goes for your lenses.

Back to your photo. To me it is a little too modest and a little dull in color, composition and location. However, considering the location you shot the photo, you've done a good job in choosing your composition.

In regards to the edited picture; the sky is more interesting, but the rest looks too fake now.

In regards to the edited picture; the sky is more interesting, but the rest looks too fake now.

As i said it was a quick re-edit to show the lens isn't at fault and the range and sharpness is still there... i wouldnt go and get it printed or anything.

I agree and disagree with you at the same time on this. I do think you can take great pictures with the kit lens in the right circumstance. I just feel that in certain applications i can't get the crisp quality that i am searching for with it. I also think the general public often mistakes good equipment for good photography.

if you want sharp images at a cheap price try the 50mm f1.8. very sharp!! price =$85 @ amazon.com. price went up since i bought it. take a look at the customer's images and reviews.

since it is a prime lens, there is no zoom. your feet become your zoom. i have this lens and for the price it is very good.
primes are good lenses but may not be something you'll want or have on your camera at all times tho.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back